Has size and form factor preference for your TabletPC evolved?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Mr. Boosh, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ahh, I was seeing a scenario of annotations or sketching. But hey, if you're watching a movie that is still a long session and you probably need the battery in the base anyway.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You do, I'm just saying that "quickly flipping it over for some typing" is not that convenient when you need to detach and reattach the screen. And I find myself doing that a lot.

Meanwhile I'm trying to wait with upgrading until a Spectre-free Meltdown-free CPU appears on the market. By which time.. Surface Book 3 with yoga hinge?

3. Kumabjorn

I'm obviously missing something here. If you want to type on a Yogalike device you have to turn the screen some 350 degrees, right. Taking the clipboard on the SB2 and reattaching it to the docking/keyboard base. I haven't times these moves, but is there such a big discrepancy?

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, there definitely is. Flipping the keyboard around takes 1 second on a Yoga device. Going through the whole process with the SB is 10 or more seconds.

5. Kumabjorn

If you are reverse attaching it, yes. I get that. What I can't figure out is why you'd be using it that way in a case scenario where you occasionally need to type something. I would just detach it, use the tablet part and then if I need to type something is just reattach it. Actually I'd probably use a BT keyboard. But my point is, I don't really see any productivity loss. It has me schtumped as my Brooklyn friends would say.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Different strokes, for sure. Two use-case scenarios:

1. I'm lounging and have the laptop in tablet mode browsing TPCR. I want to respond quickly to a post, so I flip it out into laptop mode, hammer out a sentence, then flip it back.

2. I'm in class and have one of those occasions where I'm writing/drawing in tablet mode. The professor starts saying something I want to get down quickly. I can flip back to laptop mode with the Yoga in no time, then back to tablet mode. It would probably take twice as long with attaching/detaching.

7. Kumabjorn

And if you instead have the tablet/screen of the SB2 in your lap, with the keyboard sitting on the desk, would it really take longer to just attach it and tie along?

I guess I must have some deficiency in my imagination. I can see where you have the whole setup in your hands, but you can't really type something in a scenario like that.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Am I the only one who whould just use the onscreen keyboard? -.-

dstrauss and YVerloc like this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Probably not, and these days there are better keyboard available. But those keyboards are kind of limited to tweets or text of that length.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You know, I try to use it but it keeps annoying me. Chrome (purposely? /tinfoil) doesn't show the version of the OSK with autocomplete. And AFAICT you cant shift-cursor to select things, or ctrl-shift-cursor so select whole words. All in all personally I prefer a readily accessible physical keyboard, and a stable typing experience. Yoga hinges for the win, although I have to admit that I do occasionally snap this SP4 off its keyboard to walk it with me to the kitchen.

Hence my wish for a SB3 with yoga hinge and detachable screen, perhaps even with kickstand! I know MS would never add a kickstand because it has too many moving parts, but that's the device I think I'd want. Bonus points for making the tablet portion compatible with SP4 keyboard covers.

thatcomicsguy likes this.