Has size and form factor preference for your TabletPC evolved?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Mr. Boosh, Jan 27, 2018.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

What a shame it had to cost so much - that may have been the price of getting Wacom to make a specific digitiser for them. One sold on EBAY USA for $2500 a year ago I see.

Ah well, someone at the other end has been trying to make what I am speculating about, called "Nexdock" and the 14 inch screen is proposed for around $149. Nexdock have a concept for a 14 inch screen with stylus but the quality issues in the previous prototype were worrying.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the find on the Panasonic though.

YVerloc and Marty like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I wish more companies made a detachable with a yoga hinge. I know Porsche made one, any others? I have basically decided that I need a true laptop mode and a yoga hinge, but if they make the screen detachable on top of that, that'd be a plus for me. Surface Book 3 with FlipoverFulcrum?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I’d love that. Yoga hinge detachable. For sure.

Just thought if a cool mini-computer... foldable phone, 6”, opens to 8-9”, attaches to a keyboard like a laptop. Man, a person could get far with that. Couldn’t do everything, of course, but

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Studying or doing anything in bed or a lounge setting. Yes, I can use my Chromebook for that and often the study apps on my phone suffice, but that also requires some syncing and isn't so seamless.

Sometimes I want to just undock my main PC and use it in those situations, and the Z Canvas sucks for that if you want to use the keyboard.

The majority of the time that I'm doing real work I am at a desk, so I can get by, but next time I update my machine (I'm going to try and last until August of this year), I will get one that can operate in laptop mode.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Would you say the Surface Book design is too cumbersome vs the detachable yoga style?

(Or is it the gap? :p)

So is this primarily the "lapability" usecase? Could the Surface Pro design work instead, where the kickstand is wider?

6. Mr. Boosh

Yes, but I realize now that I spend the majority of my time in laptop mode, and only need tablet functionality for brief moments. Because of that, I'd prefer having a solid keyboard deck with good travel rather than a floppy keyboard accessory.

What other powerful options do I have anyway, in the tablet department? Other than the Switch 7 which might be vaporware? Plus it doesn't even have good IO.

Marty likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Fair question. For me it's because in the evening I relax by watching something or reading something in 'media mode': screen close to me, keyboard folded back as a stand. Whenever I realize I want to post something (which happens a lot..), I flip the keyboard to the front, type something, and flip it back again. Swish - type - swoosh.

What I'm imagining is that doing the same with a Surface Book would mean "hit the detach button, turn the base around, semi carefully align the mating pins, attach screen, type something, press the detach button, detach screen, turn the keyboard around, carefully align the mating pins, continue reading". I could imagine that this would grow a tad tiresome. Survivable, but tiresome. :)

Marty, thatcomicsguy and Mr. Boosh like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting...I think this is the crux of it: the 'quick switch' into tablet mode. I'm surprised that even as hardcore tablet enthusiasts, a lot if us still default to traditional clamshell mode.

For me, I work primarily in slate mode. I wonder if I'm in the minority...

True, the pen isn't as fast as keyboard for typing/shortcuts, but I've found that a good pen let's you get pretty darn close. And aesthetically, doesn't a nice clean portrait canvas just strike that tablet nerve and give you those tablet tingles? ;)

Websites/documents are so much less claustrophobic in portrait, and art/note pages feel so much more intimate whilst cradling the slate, without the keyboard in the way.

For me, it's the reason why I became a tablet addict. :)

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

But that isn't really how you would do it, is it?

For a anything lasting less than two hours you'd just detach it, use it as tablet until you're finished and then return it. But if you need juice for more than two hours you'd go through that whole process, and for a session like that I'm not sure it feel tiresome since a session like that might be the exceptional use scenario for someone choosing the Book.

10. Mr. Boosh

Yea, but if you're just using it to watch a movie as a tablet, even if it's less than 2 hours, you have to hold onto it or prop it up with something. What he's describing is flipping it into presentation mode and letting the keyboard act as a stand.

JoeS likes this.