Has size and form factor preference for your TabletPC evolved?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Mr. Boosh, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When I began this journey, I wanted the most powerful tablet I could get in the smallest and lightest form factor. I began with the 10-11" category with the Surface Pro, and from there tried different options, then upped the size a bit once the Surface Pro 3 came along.

I think the biggest/heaviest device I've used was the Toshiba Portege Z20t. For the past year and a half I've been using the 12.5" Vaio Z Canvas and have been very happy with it, but have finally come to realize two specific points:
    1. I much prefer having the keyboard always attached (in convertible form factor) so I can use it as a traditional laptop
    2. Regardless of the size or weight of my device, I'm always carrying it in a backpack and all my work is done at a desk
    At first I wanted to use the pen 24/7 and was obsessing with pen-to-screen feel, etc, but I've realized that for most of my note-taking, unless it required drawing like it did in my anatomy classes, using a keyboard is far more efficient. I've also realized that size and weight don't really matter when it's resting on a desk.

Have any of you gone from the small 10"-ish category to 14"+? I'm thinking of the ThinkPad X1 Yoga for my next device (14"), but it seems that a lot of the 15" laptops coming out this year are extremely powerful. I don't think I've ever owned a machine that big, and it might be too big, but I may be willing to give it a shot.

How have your preferences evolved?

JoeS, Starlight5 and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only change I've noticed in my preferences is that I find I don't totally dislike the 1080p format.

For a long while, I was against anything which wasn't in a 4:3 ratio or similar. But with a big enough 16:9 screen, (mine is 15") my activities aren't particularly limited. -In portrait mode, it's still a bit too narrow for comfort, so I just don't use it that way. -But then, I never used my old 14" Tecra in portrait either, (though, at 4:3, I didn't feel the need to.)

Otherwise, "Big and (key)Boarded" remain my watchwords.

I am quite pleased with certain aspects of the evolution of the Tablet PC. I like the improved weight and battery life and increased horse power/memory of today's tablets.

Although, I would be happy to have a decent stylus garage again. -I miss that from my old machines. My Samsung does have an okay-ish one, but not for a big pen and not where it is easy to pop out from the front where it is stored. Nonetheless, I am a bit surprised to find myself using the toothpick not infrequently, simply because it is available while my bigger stylus is always packed away in a pencil case.

I'd happily sacrifice laptop thinness, or maybe have a raised bump along one edge, in order to fit a stylus garage with a full-sized pen. I'm not sure many would be in that category along with me, though!

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I think my tastes have largely stayed the same 12“ is the sweet spot for tablets, though 11.6“ is also acceptable. Brief foray to 10.6“ in the original Surface Pro, I hated it.

Form factor wise I have changed with the tech, convertible tablet pc to slate/laptop hybrid,.which is ideal tablet when you need it, laptop when you need that instead.

My only desire is for EMR to return to the mainstream - - fight me!

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

dstrauss, JoeS and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My preference was always the same since my first tablet : smaller, then lighter.
    Form factor is the most important for me, because I want to always carry it with me.
    I forgot : this tablet is my primary (and only) PC.
    How I solved the form factor issue, by adding when I need them a Bluetooth keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse. I have many of them. Some very small and light, when I am moving. And large and comfortable at the office.
    Second point, I also need a way to attach a screen to it. I always succeeded to do it. With the AVN8 it was a little bit complex, because I was not able to charge at the same time. But I was able that the AVN8 did not discharge (so acceptable).
    I prefer also the 2:3 ratio than the 16:9 or 16:10 ratio.
    I forgot : I absolutely need a pen and windows.
    I thought I will absolutely need a Wacom EMR, even I really dislike the issues we had at the edges. I was not far to move to Microsoft NTrig technology. But the Galaxy Book 10 convinced me definitively that I can not switch to another technology. Wacom Samsung EMR spen is perfection. So now I am sticked to my GB10 until another one is able to do an 8 or 7" tablet with the same quality of pen.
    I thought that I will not like an external pen like the GB10, because I will always loose it. Or I will not like the concept of loop to keep it with me. Finaly the perfection of this pen changed my mind. But, sure, even a toothpick one like for the AVN8 or the Galaxy Note will be good for me, as long as we could have a silo.
    My target for tablet size is probably 7", perhaps 6", and I know that I can stay with an 8".And then if I can have this, what I would like to have next :
    2 usb (whatever the type), that way I will be able to charge without any issue (because even with the GB10 it is not always easy), and connect what I want.
    the maximum of memory, disk, and power
    I always carry with me small powerbank, so I really do not care this point of the tablet as long as I can charge it with powerbanks.
    Now you know my preferences.
    Samsung, if you read this, you have to know that I will pay it a lot.

Last but not least, if it could be also a phone.
    I will pay it even more, because I will remove one device.

dstrauss, thatcomicsguy and nyb72 like this.
  5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope. My wish has always been for a 20 inch, 4K, pure tablet, pressure sensitive pen, no keyboard. And it seems destined to always be my wish, since I’m unlikely to ever have the opportunity to discover in person that I don’t want it as much as I think I do.

Fluffyfurball and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha, me too. One day I think some manufacturer is going to accidentally-on-purpose build a large screen around Intel's compute card technology and you will have your 20 inch tablet.

I'll be in the queue behind you.

EDIT: thinking about it, most screens in the older tabletpc days were connected by a few cables to the main body of the computer. If I were electronics savvy enough, I would give this a try as Compute Cards will support Windows 10 - the screen wouldn't know whether there was a full commercial built computer connected or a DIY modular card in a small box attached to the screen......

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think that would be such a fun form factor. Imagine going to a life drawing session with one of those!

I couldn't see it being more than a 'sometimes' curio, however. I organize everything around my backpack when I'm out and about, so I much prefer when all my important items fit neatly inside it. A 20" monster tablet would make that pretty much impossible. -My backpack even has a specially padded laptop sleeve which I can finally use with my new Samsung! (My old Tecra M4 was too fat to fit into it properly.)

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's your current machine?

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@thatcomicsguy has a new Surface Galaxy Book 12"