Has anything modern come to fill the Vivotab 8 niche?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Diminuendo, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diminuendo

Diminuendo Pen Pal - Newbie

I've loved my Vivotab 8 for the last couple of years; the EMR digitaliser allows me to use Adobe CS2 for a digial sketchpad and the whole thing is just the right size to fit under the strap of my Moleskin sketchbook. It's never been a powerhouse, but it's been enough for when I am away from my desktop and Cinitq.

I'm finding it's beginning to struggle with simple websites, which makes surfing the web on my couch a little difficult.

Are there any newer Windows 8 inch Wacom EMR tablets out there? I'm looking for anything to upgrade from the Vivotab;

Windows 10, 8 inch, more than 2GB RAM, and EMR - nothing else matters. I figure shortening my list of requirements down to one sentence is quicker and easier to read than the form.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Nope. Nothing. Nada.:vbfrown:

As close as you can get is a Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6". EMR pen in the GB is in a class by itself.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Fixed.

BTW, this 8" concept just showed up. https://liliputing.com/2018/08/topj...g-soon-for-399-and-up-crowdfunding-price.html But, it's more a Yoga style notebook than a tablet.​

kneehowguys likes this.
  4. Diminuendo

kneehowguys likes this.
  5. Diminuendo

I just got married and need to figure out where the money is coming from first.

We actually might be going to japan soon ourselves so I might grab it from a good ol' brick and motor store.

If Kumabjorn would like to try this one out, I'd appreciate if they checked it with Photoshop CS2.

6. Bronsky

7. Diminuendo

But that has a AES digitaliser...

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seen that but just stayed away from it. Chances are, it's one of those cheap Chinese makers. Dospara is a small time PC parts store and have a lot of products like that. With Atom X5, you'll be buying for a HBP from frustration. And that price? No way! Still, if you are eager to have it, I could drop by there and see if the staff will test the CS2 on it. I'd recommend the 2016 DV8P 5855, but you don't want AES.

Sent from mTalk

9. Diminuendo

The vivo tab was never a high quality device. I've pulled mine apart twice to fix the pen digitaliser. It was just the perfect combination of features to be a back pocket sketchbook.

I'm sorry I just hate AES; it's never felt as accurate as EMR and I have no idea why Wacom created it when they already had a perfectly usable batteryless solution.

If you could check it out with CS2 that would be amazing. I use CS6 professionally to keep my costs down and finding a modern tablet with pressure comparability is the only area that leaves me wanting.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you don't put the @ mark before my nick I won't be notified, hence I've missed this discussion.
    I took a look at the original. It reads a little like a beefed up press release, but perhaps he is just an over excited nerd. I also looked for the device on Amazon Japan but they didn't have it, which is slightly suspicious.
    It is made in Japan but the maker is someone I've never heard about so it could be sourced in China. They can be a tad loose about things like that sometimes. But he claims the manual is written in Japanese and not translated (you can always tell because if you think their English is funny you should read their Japanese translations) and this lens some cred to the claim that it is made in Japan. The odd price tells me they're aiming for ¥50.000 in store.
    The specs outside the screen are fairly standard all around, he claims the screen to be ISP but resolution is like the Galaxy Note 8 from the Obama administration I'm holding in my hand right now. One advantage over the Vivo Tab is that it comes with HDMI port so you could hook it up to a large screen and use it for home computing as well (provided you're a modest man with modest needs).
    They have organised events for Manga artists since the spring of 2017. If so inclined you can use Google Translate and read more about it https://www.dospara.co.jp/5info/cts_raytrektab.

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.