Has anyone tried the ASUS PT201Q pen monitor? You should!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by michaelws, Jul 11, 2015.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sadly I do not speak enough Spanish to be able to figure out how to start the download off the link you gave me. When I tried another language it took me to an entirely different page.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok. Downloading it now and will post a Dropbox link as soon as I can. The Spanish server seems to be very slow for a 456MB file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. michaelws

thanks again...for downloading. The ASUS version of the digitizer software is under 4 MB. I wonder what the other 454MB in the Sharp file is about. Thanks and I do have a dropbox account.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

michaelws likes this.
  5. michaelws

Downloading...thank you. Very kind of you to do this for me.

6. michaelws

Well everything installed. But it seens it was for some other pen and.or program. There was nothing that let me access the two-button pen that comes with the PT201Q. But it seems to be some type of graphics program along with some type of three-button pen and you can set graphic functions for each of the three pens via a floating menu. Very interesting. I will peruse the manual more to see if there is something that might relate to this pen I have but after installing and playing with it I could not get anything to change the two-buttons on this stylus. Even when I changed what I wanted pen one two or three to do the buttons on the stylus still were the right-click for the forward toggle button and the eraser for the rear toggle.

But thank you so much Surfaceproartist. I will continue to play with the tabletpc mouse program (waiting for Justice to get me my code) to see if I can configure something with the artist pad that will allow me to do what I wanted to program the stylus buttons to do. Again it is no big thing. I usually set the forward button to change the brush size on the fly in Corel painter and the rear to alt to pick colors. I will just use the keyboard for now until I get tabletpc mouse artist pad to work.

I am very grateful.

Not to detract from the subject of this thread...this tablet is a dream to work with.

7. michaelws

Well I got the digitizer software to work. Convoluted process of finding it in the taskbar on the right and opening it from there.

BUT that is a mute point now. Knowing that this monitor only comes with one replacement nib and knowing that I will wear the two out within a few months I tried to order more replacement nibs from ASUS. After hours of emailing and calling and chatting with their support reps I sadly realized that ASUS does not sell replacement nibs and you cannot just substitute a Wacom nib or any of the other stylus nibs, at least from what I have and I did not see anything online that looks close to this type of nib. It has a small metal collar that holds two springs on either side of it, top and bottom.

So, I just bought a penabled monitor that will soon have a stylus that will not work...and the ASUS reps really acted like this was not a big deal and apologized for any "inconvenience" this might have caused me and then turned right around and asked if there was anything else they could help me with today...as if they had solved my problem. They simply said that if the item was not in their store then there was nothing they could do.

So I called Amazon immediately and got an RMA to send this unit back for a refund.

So I warn anyone wanting to try this monitor/tablet out to make sure they can find replacement nibs. Why would any company sell a penabled monitor with a unique stylus and not support the stylus for the very basic requirement of a cheap part that is guaranteed to wear out and that is vital to the monitor being penabled? I was dumbstruck. And I was totally put off by the callous indifference shown to me by more than one of their customer service reps. I copied the chat so I have proof of at least this one rep not giving a hoot that I had bought a pig in a poke.

I have owned a few ASUS products and all of them have been great...but after this I cannot I good faith either buy anything more form them or recommend them to anyone. They lost a good customer due to their treatment of me over this issue. I was sadly amazed at their lack of caring support.

Sorry, but I had to post this...especially after my initial reaction to the tablet was one of praise. So buyer beware!

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Don't be amazed. Asus support is generally abysmal in the US. I'm assuming that your other Asus products performed well during their operating life. Shame too, the monitor sounded interesting.

9. michaelws

Yes, shame. One other ASUS was the Note 8 for which the problem was solved here on the forum with the crimped cables. I still use that Note 8.

10. Leo G

Leo G Pen Pal - Newbie

I found a better site in English for the drivers and software of the Sharp equivalent of Asus PT201Q which is the Sharp LL-P202V:
    http://www.sharp.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/gb/hs.xsl/-/html/product-details.htm?product=LLP202V&cat=110
    more info here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/asus-pt201q-what-pen-tech.65819/
    I just ordered 2 of the Asus PT201Q to replace another set of touchscreen monitors. I really like the fact that they are matte which is what I prefer and almost every other touchscreen is highly glossy. I have the 12.5 Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with digitizer display and it is the best I have used so far and I love the matte finish. I hope this Asus display is at least close to Lenovo's.