Has anyone tried the ASUS PT201Q pen monitor? You should!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by michaelws, Jul 11, 2015.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I ran across this little gem on surfaceproartist.com one night this past week. A guy named Bret from BucktoothStudios had a couple of videos about it. It is like a Wacom or a Huion tablet, alas without the special function buttons. But the tracking to the edges of the tablet monitor are the best of any tablet. I get wonderful pressure sensitivity in Clip Studio Paint, Photoshop CC 2015, and Corel Painter 2015 (you have to set the Edit>preferences>tablet to the RTS stylus - which is a simple radio button click).

It lists for about a thousand dollars but I got mine on Amazon for $484. It has gone back up but I suspect it will go down again. It has a tethered stylus but it is hardly noticeable. The only problem I am having is trying to get the utility software for the pen, to change the two buttons from the default settings. Right now that piece of software will not open. I am in a dialogue with ASUS to try to troubleshoot this and will keep you posted.

This is definitely a score for me. I normally use my Wacom Cintiq Companion, but this is a lot more working space when I am at home.

Anyhow, I am not sure how many folks have even heard of this monitor/tablet...but I love it. I cannot believe it has so little press.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. michaelws

That utility software is the bottleneck. It will not open. It installs but does not open. That is what I am talking with ASUS about. So far no clues. And they claim that the software is not from ASUS so they don't guarantee it. Right now I am trying to get TabletPC Mouse to work on my Companion but am awaiting my bonus code from Justice...as the non pro version does not have the artist pad with it.

The Digitzer pen utility software I tried was from the one that came with the monitor and I also tried the one on their website...neither worked even though it says it is for windows 8 and 8.1.

But this PT201Q is great. And I got it at a great price.

4. surfaceproartist

Got it @michaelws, but did you try to track down software directly from Sharp?

5. michaelws

No surfacepro, I wouldn't know where to begin to search that out. Funny though, when I go to my C drive under Program Files, the main folder for this utility is labeled...SHARP!

How would I go about finding out where this might be on the Sharp site?

6. surfaceproartist

Google is your friend. I think Sharp brands its pens as AQUOS Board for some odd reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. michaelws

Love google...will try AQUOS Board for some odd reason!

Thanks Surfacepro and thanks for your blog...I refer to it a lot.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not odd, that is their product brand in Japan for everything screen related including tv, smartphones, tablets and displays.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. surfaceproartist

10. michaelws

Thanks Surface...that is a month newer than the one on the ASUS site. I will download and try that. Thanks very much for that. Will post back the results.