Has anyone managed to enable Hibernate automatically. Power key or X mins after sleep??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by bugelrex, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

Creating a bat file for hibernate works great. I've pinned to start screen, shuts immediately and can start up in 7 seconds. 0% battery drain :)

Having to go to click screen to sleep is a little trouble, same with selecting a hibernate option from the power menu.

Has anyone been able to map the power button to launch a bat file or to hibernate. Even better, have the unit hibernate after X mins of sleeping?

The closet I got was settings in safe-mode, it would only hibernate with the physical power button when charging only. Would not work when not plugged in.. strange

2. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah, bro. i did the same thing as you and it's working great. i've been reading and reading trying to map the power button to go into hibernate instead of sleep or shut down, but i have not been able to find anything. for those of you reading this, here is a simple step to create a bat file on your desktop (once you double click/run it, it will make your V8Pro go straight into hibernate without you having to go into the start button and selecting hibernate).
    1. open notepad
    2. type c:\windows\system32\shutdown /h
    3. save as, then select all files and name the file anything you like with ".bat" at the end so it becomes a batch file. for example, mine is saved as HIBERNATE.bat - you can name it whatever you like or rename it later etc because the main command is saved within the bat file, which is "c:\windows\system32\shutdown /h"

hope this helps....and if anyone knowledgeable in windows can figure out how to make the power button use HIBERNATE in the power configuration menu or bypass it through a registry hack, let us know. thanks!

3. Rimbol

Rimbol Pen Pal - Newbie

bugelrex likes this.
  4. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

This is perfect! works great. I had to run it under an adminstrator prompt to make it keep the changes and then reboot.

I changed both AC and DC, power button -> hibernate

The hibernate on idle might be possible with a bat file and the task scheduler and wake timers enabled. But not sure, haven't had a chance to investigate

5. tablet25

tablet25 Scribbler - Standard Member

tag (ten characters)

6. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

awesome! thanks a lot man! :D

EDIT: Can you guys post your specific settings in this since it seems like a lot of stuff can be changed? I don't want to mess anything up. I'd really appreciate it. Also, I saw a lot of sleep and hybrid sleep settings...have you guys messed around with this so that you don't get wifi sleep problems and black screen sleep problems? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  7. Lanurd

Lanurd Pen Pal - Newbie

Click on the "Battery" icon
    Click on "More power options"
    Scroll up and click on "Change plan settings" next to Dell or your power plan
    Click on "Change advanced power settings"
    Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
    Scroll down to "Power buttons and lid"
    Expand then expand "Power button action" and change "On battery" and "Plugged in" to "Hibernate"

and I did it all with my stylus...

8. Lanurd

Lanurd Pen Pal - Newbie

While testing this for you I noticed when coming out of "Sleep" mode it goes straight back to where I was. No delay. The "Windows" logo on the screen or the "Power" button will turn it on.

When coming out of "Hibernate" mode I get the Dell boot logo then it returns straight back to where I was. Noticeably longer delay. I also get a message that the "Dell Power Manager" could not communicate with the battery. It takes the "Power" button to turn it on.

9. Lanurd

Lanurd Pen Pal - Newbie

You can also change the"Sleep" and "Hibernate after" minutes using the same method.

10. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately those options are not available out of the box. I'm not sure how you enabled them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.