Has anyone installed a 8GB RAM module yet?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by rsmacmini, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Open up task manager, on the "Performance" tab it will list a number for 'Total' under "Physical Memory"... that is the true amount your system has access to and sees; if it doesn't show 40xx then there is something wrong with your 4GB stick of ram, or it isn't seated properly, or it is another issue all together.... you also need to be running Windows 7 X64 [ie: 64-bit] to use more than 3.5-3.7GB or ram

2. rsmacmini

rsmacmini Pen Pal - Newbie

i
    it says, total 3885, cached 853, availible 2444, free 1671. i am running 64 bit windows 7 pro

3. Agent 9

That sounds like part of the ram is bad. I would run Mem Test on it overnight (if it takes that long) and see what it says, it will likely show the ram is bad... there is no other reason for the full 4GB to not be usable

4. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

missing ram is assigned to hd graphic.

5. Agent 9

While it is true the BIOS as well as the GPU can allocate available ram, it is rare for that value to be above a 100 MB. For a parallel situation on my 2730p with 8GB of ram and page filing disabled, The numbers for 'Total' reports 8092 MB of ram, and that number hasn't ever changed as far as I'm aware, not even when navigating around a decently complex Autocad 3D model; the Intel GMA 4500 in my system is spec'd to use up to 1.5GB as v-rem, but rarely does it use a lot of ram (and I haven't seen it use 'Hardware Reserve' before... maybe Intel drastically changed how the Intel HD GPU dynamically uses ram resources, or rather they have it constantly not dynamically using ram)

I did just remember the easiest way to figure out how much ram is seen in total, while showing you where all the ram is going... when you have task manager open to the 'Performance' tab you simply click the "Resource Monitor.." button and when it pulls up you simply go to the 'Ram' tab and see what it shows. If you could grab a screen capture of that it could be helpful.

6. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

Here are the screens shots you asked for

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. boysie

boysie Pen Pal - Newbie

the reduction is jsut normal PCI stuff and graphics shared mem?

8. rsmacmini

So I took the leap to see if a 8GB ram module would work. I bought a Samsung 8GB module p/n M471B1G73AH0-CH9 and received it today. I popped off the back cover and installed the stick. Turned it on and
    ...............nothing. So unless someone has a few last words of wisdom, I will declare for everyone who has speculated about it being possible, well it's not. It won't turn on. Then when I put the 4GB stick back in, it worked. So there you have it.

9. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Is the 8g and 4g are both double sided? If 4g is single side.. would 8g one too thick to fit the slot?

10. rsmacmini

They are both double sided. It went in the slot just as easily as the 4GB stick.