Has anyone installed a 8GB RAM module yet?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by rsmacmini, Aug 1, 2011.

1. DallasVette

DallasVette Pen Pal - Newbie

more chips = more heat. Poor tablet is cramped enough as it is :)

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

to debunk some of your myths:
    It will not run hotter, with shorter battery life, or have any issues with operation from using a single 8GB stick or a possible splitter with 2x 4GB sticks if you get it working (you might want to see if there is a ziff like splitter available. I know this type of thing exists for desktops, but IDK about for laptops, and from where, maybe ask in the hardware section of NBR Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades )

It depends on much more than just the chipset as to if it will work or not with either single or dual stick method (the biggest obstacle that comes to mind is that ASUS may have designed the rest of the motherboard to only meet requirements to operate with 4GB, and the BIOS is very likely limiting ram size to only 4GB -though IDK if they did or didn't... you would have to try it to know, but there have been cases of '4GB only' computers being able to use 8GB of ram, the Lenovo X200t is one such device as it lists 4GB limit, though most units will run perfectly with 8GB)

Whatever the speed of the ram, it will almost certainly run at 1066Mhz and no more (even if you OC the FSB on the processor), so don't waste your money on 'faster ram' as you will see 0 difference even if you got it running at 1333Mhz or higher

3. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Pen Pal - Newbie

by the time they are affordable, we will have ep521's by then and it will be included ;)

4. rsmacmini

rsmacmini Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is the spec sheet off of Intel's website. I will personally know next week if it can handle the 8GB module, then I will post photos of both the inside of the ep121 and the new IE score and a confirmation post that it indeed does work, or a post that it doesn't work. :confused:

5. rsmacmini

here is the spec sheet.

Attached Files:

6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

If you find yourself using more than 4 Gb RAM in Photoshop daily, you clearly got the wrong machine. You should buy a Desktop computer with an i7 CPU plus the 8 Gb RAM you need.

7. Lazer

Lazer Pen Pal - Newbie

I have desktops of course, I just love using the EP121 so much, that I find myself using it for everything now. 8GB of RAM will take this thing over the top!

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tweaked the thing to an inch of it's life to ensure you're getting the max available ram?

9. rsmacmini

what would be your suggestion on how to do that. one thing that really bugs me is that only 3.79 gb's is availible, why is that. i see that when i check my ram in control panel.:confused:

10. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Ever heard about management fee from your bank.. document fee from your car dealer..

4gb does not mean useable 4gb. they need space to track where the bits and bytes are.