Hardware of Yore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstrauss, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

AND YES CHILDREN, NEIL AND BUZZ DID WALK ON THE MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We didn't have a color TV so my parents rented a motel room that had one. I split my time between watching the event and jumping in the pool. Hey, I was a preteen. ;)

Marty, Bronsky, kvoram and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The first online game I recall was Starclash. It was played by packet transfer through BBS's. Each turn took one day and you saw the results the next. It was a space conquest game. I was obsessed.

And, I saw the moon landing in B&W.

I do remember this. I played it on the Temple University teletype system the summer I took Organic Chemistry there. With my student access id, I probably burned up a few thousand dollars in computer time playing it.

They also had a game called Hammurabi that I loved too. http://www.hammurabigame.com/hammurabi-game.php

I forget who made the Halo comment but my brush with gaming addiction came in the form of Call of Duty. My clan :hi: http://www.gametracker.com/clan/h2k/

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the kids here who don't understand the concept of being charged for computer time, that's the way it was back when computers occupied basements and one used them remotely via timeshare. Here's a story which discusses it:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-be-in-a-class-taught-by-Donald-Knuth

(and yeah, I've got a check from Dr. Knuth for finding an error in one of his books, a signed copy of a book, and a photo of myself w/ him --- he wrote the typesetting system I prefer to use, TeX (by way of the LaTeX macro package --- gave up on Plain or even eplain a while back))

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. dstrauss

Jerry here (before I added the beard - and quit wearing my hair in a ponytail)...:D:eek:

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not me, my eyesight wouldn't allow for that career path (though my father did arrange for me to meet two astronauts when I was very young and he was an Air Force recruiter). Did see R. Adm. Grace Hopper give a presentation to my school when I was a kid though --- she was talking to the high school students, and since I was a 4th grader taking 8th grade science, English and math classes, got to attend.

I can still smell her lighting up that Lucky Strike at the podium when she began her talk --- wish I'd kept the length of wire she handed out. It went into a drawer w/ the other treasures from my childhood and vanished after I left home.

sonichedgehog360, kvoram and Bronsky like this.
  8. dstrauss

Ah, the tragedies of leaving home. My football card collection hit the dumpster, including my Bart Starr and Joe Namath rookie cards...

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I lost a priceless collection of Marvel comics. I had every Spiderman, Daredevil, and Fantistic Four and a healthy selection of Strange Tales and Marvel Annuals. My mom couldn't wait to toss them when I went off to college.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 and WillAdams like this.
  10. dstrauss

A little software sauce for our hardware of old (and apparently new) as Wordstar still exists in the SciFi writing world:

ArsTechnica

[​IMG]

WillAdams and DRTigerlilly like this.