Hardware of Yore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstrauss, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

This was the processor that I had in my very first DIY PC, back when I had a well-worn softbound copy of Building a PC for Dummies, 4th Edition which I read voraciously.

It is astounding just how far CPU performance and power efficiency has progressed in these last 15 years since the time of the Pentium 4 640. Now, one single core of a fanless Surface 3 using a diminutive Intel Atom Z8700 with an SDP of a mere 2 W is nearly as fast as my Pentium 4 was with its toasty, power-thirsty TDP of 84W. With all four cores engaged, this otherwise unassuming Atom is nearly three times as fast as my Pentium 4 was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as for the latest generation Kaby Lake fanless Core M/Y-series Core i processors? One core alone in the top-of-the-line Core i7-7Y75 is three times as fast as my Pentium 4. With all threads and cores utilized, a fanless Core i7-7Y75 is six times as fast as my Pentium 4. Now, that is progress!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    dstrauss, Bronsky and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah the Pentium 4's...in my engineering school days, otherwise known as Intel's most efficient electrical to thermal space heaters. ;)

I remember them fondly during those cold Canadian winters.

3. sonichedgehog360

Ha ha! So true! The blow dryer is also what I remember people calling those Pentium 4's. I remember that system getting so dang hot in my Antec P160W, an otherwise very roomy, well-ventilated full-sized aluminum tower case. I remember the dreaded 10-degree temperature hike in the case every time without fail come summer at my home in the Midwest.
    [​IMG]

That was why I was so happy to finally rid myself of that Pentium 4 (fond memories retained) and upgrade to an Athlon 64 X2. Ironically, the Pentium 4 system was built with an Asus motherboard featuring an ATI Radeon 9100 IGP. So I really didn't change CPU manufacturers completely, considering who now owns ATI Technologies and their assets. :)

EDIT: By the way, is there a thread where we can post our current desktop PC setups? I think there is a place here even though this is a tablet site but I can't quite remember...

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

PENTIUM? PENTIUM? Don't talk about PENTIUM! PENTIUM?

Talk about the mighty 4.77 MHz Intel 8088! Look at all them toasty memory chips too! A voracious 16KB RAM!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jvloyola and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not quite as old, but on-topic:

[​IMG]

I really, really miss PenPoint.

dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

Anyone here have one of the first ever pressure sensitive color tablets (either portable or stationary)?

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What do you mean by "pressure sensitive"? I list pretty much everything in my sig....

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

With pressure sensitive pen technology and a color display, I mean. :)

9. sonichedgehog360

Really more accurately under the category of "software of yore," this is the oldest game I can remember playing in the old Mac lab at my elementary school. Unlike in this video, it was presented in incredible monochrome color on the computers we had in that old Mac lab.

PS: The entire premise of this game is pretty creepy for an educational problem-solving title intended for children. I remember tons of kids getting a bit freaked out by it.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Lunar Lander - 1973 - basically teletype entering burn information to avoid crashing on the moon, each line printed out in hard copy as you entered next fuel rate from the keyboard - crashed more often than landed - "remote" game play with DEC - the highlight of our high school math lab time...

[​IMG]