Hardware of Yore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstrauss, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, without the Lisa, there wouldn't've been a Macintosh --- the problem was, not everyone could program as well as the internal Mac developers, plus not everyone had the good sense to do sensible graphical programs --- there was a lot of really bad stuff available, but in many ways, Microsoft's Office for Mac division enabled and informed much of early Windows development: Excel 1.0 was for the Mac OS in 1985, 2.0 didn't come out for Windows until two years later.

Two stories from Folklore.org I think everyone should be aware of:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Puzzle.txt --- rewriting a 6KB desk accessory to be fewer than 600 _bytes_ so it would fit on a 400KB floppy along w/ the balance of the system software

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=MacBasic.txt --- inside look at where VisualBASIC came from, why it doesn't exist for the Mac, and the kind of price which Microsoft's dominance has exacted from the balance of the industry --- for more on that, ready Jerry Kaplan's _StartUp_

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ah yes, the Mac analogs to Sidekick and the TSR universe...

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ha! I KNEW it!

I KNEW Apple didn't invent the word, "Apps". -Because, there it is, clear as day, right there on the Cybiko Xtreme's face, first option. "Apps".

I notice the corners are also kind of.., rounded.

Ha ha!

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

If you think that is funny, Cybiko was a Russian-owned company. Imagine the media hysteria today if they tried selling their product to youth. The Russians are spying on our youth and endoctrinating them!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Bronsky, kvoram and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  6. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, the fledgling days of Windows Mobile. Loved the TyTN (mine was the Cingular 8525 variant), maybe my first device with digitizer/stylus? Despite the size, cool factor of the sliding keyboard and stylus was epic. I worked on the network development side of wireless and the parade of new phones in my office was comical. Folks were racing to re-up their wireless contract to walk around with the geekiest piece of mobile tech available. Some things never change.

7. dstrauss

Cingular here as well. However, I was already a stylus veteran from Palm Pilot, iPaq 4150 and then Treo 90/300 days...good grief, do I need therapy or what...but that little Treo 90 PDA (no cellular data) was one of the best devies I ever owned...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was wondering when a Palm Pilot would show up. Still envious of my sister's Palm Pilot V. Wish there was some modern equivalent. Anyone have a Rex 6000 (the even smaller PDA which fit into a PCMCIA slot)?

Reaching back a bit further, I think one of the coolest ever devices (though I never had the pleasure of owning one) was the Radio Shack Model 100, though there was a competitor which included a small pen plotter which was the one I really wanted (and really wish I'd gotten).

kvoram likes this.
  9. dstrauss

@WillAdams I told you I needed THERAPY (probably seriously) because I rocked a Palm V in the good old days - one of the coolest looking devices ever made (but not near as practical as that cheapo Treo 90) AND a REX (the Franklin version - dog to get data in and out):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WillAdams and kvoram like this.
  10. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All that nostalgia made me open my drawer full of old gadgets and I realized something:

Even though I despise fanboyism, I guess there was a time, almost a decade long, where I was kinda a Palm fanboy to at least some degree.

The Zire 71 will now only work when plugged in, but I can forgive that after 14 years. My first SD-Card that I bought for it cost me around 100 bucks for 256 MB. Now we can have a 1000x that for less money :D
    The Treo 650 was again something that made feel like a true geek, when almost nobody else around me even knew what smartphone meant.
    Even though somewhat chunky, it still feels pretty great in my hand due to its smaller footprint.
    Web OS had a lot of potential, but sadly Palm screwed it up continuously from day one. And HP's ex-CEO Leo Apotheker shall just roast in hell.
    The Pre 3 is still a real pleasure to hold and if someone updated it to today's specs running on Android, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

The evidence, left to right: Zire 71, Treo 650, Pre, Veer, Pre 3. Not shown are my Sony Clié PEG-UX50 (must be also somewhere here) and the Touchpad (doing duty as a Skype cam for my parents since a few years ago).

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.