Hardware of Yore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstrauss, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Didn't the Lisa almost drive Apple into Chapter 11?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, Lisa was something of an overreach, but it enabled and informed the Macintosh --- see Folklore.org

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think you were only a few years behind me. -Minus the part about living in Eastern Europe, our experiences are quite similar.

My Dad was an engineer at Nortel, and he brought home all kinds of cool gear. We were the first family I knew to experience the wonders of things like laser printers and CD ROM drives. -At the tender age of 17, I'd written a (terrible) fantasy novel and got the idea that I should submit it to publishers. That went nowhere, but for the project, my Dad smuggled home a 51 lb (!!) HP Laserjet II, -a beautifully over-engineered true tank of construction and utterly brilliant entry into the field of desktop laser printers. Times Roman came on a giant solid state cartridge, -there were spaces for two such cartridges in the printer chassis, (you can see the corner of one of the two slots under the paper tray in the image below), and new cartridges cost in the order of $200 per. Also, this was before LED lasers, so it used a big gas cylinder laser!

[​IMG]
    That was a very exciting time! -I was playing with cutting edge Desktop Publishing tech, (back when that was a new idea and a million-dollar buzword) and I hoped that the nice 300 DPI typeface manuscript would stand out with potential publishers, sending my work to the top of any slush pile. However, this didn't work any better than did putting a school report in a nice plastic binder in the hopes of getting a superior grade. :D

It was super cool, though, and I longed for the day when I could own a laser printer of my very own. (The HP had to go back to the Nortel office at the end of a feverish weekend of trying to get the machine working on my Amiga!)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    WillAdams and Marty like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The near bankruptcy came in the mid-late 90's. Lisa was the forerunner of the Macintosh ascendancy. It was Job's analysis that it was the later failure to innovate under Sculley, Spindler (had to look that one up) and Amelio that brought them to near bankruptcy...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

But it was an expensive fiasco, right?

6. dstrauss

I know it was a colossal failure, probably a financial one as well, but I think it led directly to the success of Macintosh.

7. Kumabjorn

So in that way it justified itself?

Balbutio ergo sum

8. dstrauss

Don't know if "justify" is the right term - kind of like present day OEM's using the public as beta testers for new designs...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I really need to dig out my old Casio Cassiopeia EM-500 and do some reminiscing over my Pocket PC days. Besides my Cybiko Xtreme which came right before it, my trusty Casio was perhaps what really got me interested in portable computing in the very first place.

885C5D87-A0FC-4D98-975B-B305DE8A9CB9-474-000000787B0FD912_tmp.jpg
    6E454180-2375-4D22-B229-74CE34F3A533-474-00000078CC674572_tmp.jpg

kvoram, thatcomicsguy and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.