Hardware of Yore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstrauss, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I missed a surprising number. I was about half-right. I got the cobal date because I was programming in cobal in 1978 with punch cards for my higher level science classes. How was there still an 11 lb laptop well into the 1990s? My old Zenith Z-181 was only about 6 or 7 pounds in 1989.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You were either young, with good muscle tone, so you didn't notice the weight, or your mind is getting old and feeble (like mine) because the Z-180 was advertised as being "under 12 pounds."
    http://www.1000bit.it/ad/bro/zenith/z180.pdf

PS - the NEC Multispeed was a 1987 release...

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Ah youth.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. dstrauss

And to think, I whine about a 1.6# Surface Pro 4 because it's not 1# like an iPad :confused:o_O:(:rolleyes:

I've got to work on that "perspective" thing - my iP7+ has 256,000 times more storage than those two 720k floppy drives COMBINED...:eek:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    darkmagistric and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

I remembered the computer to be sleeker than it was. I hadn't seen those pictures from the product literature in a long time. At that time, everybody carried an extra brief case with their lap top in it. No wonder. It's what I love so much about using a docket tablet. One briefcase and a light one at that. It's good to be weight conscious.

6. dstrauss

The T1000 was my second laptop, and probably favorite PC, until we got to Tablet PC. It was tiny and light for its time (6.4# in 1987); could be upgraded with a digital memory board of 768k that gave you 640k system memory and 640k ram disk (article referenced below got htis wrong, it ADDED 768k, not just raised it from 512k to 768k). DOS 2.11 was in ROM, so you had ACRES of memory to work with - WordPerfect 4.2 (yes @Bronsky, I was a WP ninja in those days), the WordPerfect accessory tools, dictionary, and even Sidekick could be loaded from floppy to the ram disk, then you pulled the startup floppy and had access to all your data files on those huge 720k 3.5" floppies. So as long as you had battery or AC you were FLYING from the equivalent of an SSD (well, really more like eMMC, but for those days it was like a jet aircraft vs Wright brothers).

Anyway, the following article brought all those cool memories back in a flood: PC World
    [​IMG]

7. dstrauss

A must read/view for all - Walt Mossberg is retiring this year, and The Verge put together a series of five short videos of Walt talking about various gadgets from his personal museum of used/reviewed computer tech over the last thirty years. His review of the TRS 80 is priceless.

[​IMG]

WillAdams likes this.
  8. Bronsky

That was my fist laptop (I had the NEC version). Loved it. I think it had 8 lines of 40 column text. Maddening to read when you uploaded the text to an 80 column page.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

dstrauss, kvoram and WillAdams like this.
  10. dstrauss

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017