Hardware of Yore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstrauss, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I remember using that & Lotus 123

Bronsky likes this.
  2. neonnoodle

neonnoodle Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe Neal Stephenson used to use a heavily customized version of Emacs in the same way. Having gotten into Emacs a couple years ago, I couldn't imagine attempting to write a book with anything else.

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've set up a fair number of people w/ XyWrite, and it was even used by Robert Bringhurst to do the lovely "letterfall" frontispiece to the first edition of his The Elements of Typographic Style.

Remember WordStar (and I think I've shared my story about VisiCalc) and Lotus 1-2-3, and really liked the port of WordPerfect to NeXTstep, though I preferred WriteNow, my favourite of all-time word-processor (~100,000 lines of hand-coded assembly --- it ran even on an 8MHz 68000, and just flew on a 25MHz 68030).

Oh yes, and Microsoft even mentions the NCR-3125 on the pen and ink programming page:

https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...roduction-to-ink-and-pen/#I4hy02OMyjaxavAj.97

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I actually still have all my late maternal grandfather's comic books, including, I believe, the very first issue of Superman, as far back as in the early Archie comics that depicted Archie and the gang as little kids, the first issues of Spider-Man, the 60's Batman comics, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Snoopy, Heathcliff, and many others. My parents, though strict while I grew up for which I am grateful, have never thrown away anything without asking first. I should post some photos of a few of them when I get back from college.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That's probably in perfect condition. Mine were very well read. @sonichedgehog360 I would check on those prices.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm sure that was perfect condition top dollar, not run of the mill, but I'd bet there is a good value nonetheless.

8. sonichedgehog360

I am the person who wouldn't sell it. The family history tied to them run too deep. Getting it insured would probably be the way I should go. Right now, these comics are kept in plastic sleeves, just the older ones, that is, in plastic storage bins.

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Good lord!

Please, please do some research. -If just out of concern for the comics lovers among the rest of us. Get some of those cotton archival quality gloves when handling them. You're sitting on history in the form of a news print gold mine. Just touching them wrong can damage old papers.

Wow! You're in for a fun bit of modern archeology. Enjoy!

10. sonichedgehog360

Thanks! Seeing that you are the definitive comics expert here, what do you recommend for properly handling and storing these works of art?

Off-topic, my grandfather was an amazing humble man. He may have only been a blue collar worker, but he was a good, kind, caring person. He could have been a professional bowler since he is the only person I know of who bowled two 300 games back-to-back and who had a slew of first place trophies from the local league he played in. Decades after his departure, his vast library of comics is now here for us to cherish.

However... I did speak with my Mom about it just a few minutes ago and she said might actually consider selling a few of them to help fund some book series she is trying to publish. Many if not all of them are complete copies with just a little browning and could easily be worth tens of thousands from what I am seeing on eBay. We would take snapshots of them before selling any of them, though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    kvoram and dstrauss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.