Hardware of future

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Our beloved curmudgeon @dstrauss started a thread on hardware of yore, for all the nostalgics (including me), so I thought it might be interesting to allow us to dream a little about the future. Usually we end up a tad disappointed when a new device see the light of day. No silo, no Thunderbolt 3, only one USB port, resolution could be better. I'd like to leave those technical nickpits to the threads where they belong, and instead discuss what we'd really wish for. Whether feasible or not. So I guess I need to start us going.

The obvious is the foldable tablet, a screen that expands seamless. But I have to say that a tablet that on its backside had a penabled decent e/ink Moebus or Carta screen and the ability to run apps like Kindle or other e/reader, SMS, OneNote and Word, would certainly catch my attention. It kind of exists on the phone market (Yotaphone 3) but I have yet to see this introduced on a tablet. This would go along way to tide me over until we actually get the foldable tablets that still seem to live only in the labs.

What do you want to see?

Marty and WillAdams like this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

I want a matte display which allows daylight viewability.

I'd like a silo, and suppose I should just add a pen loop to my GB12.

I would really like a second device (since I don't have a cell phone):

- b/w display, either e-ink or high resolution monochrome LCD (no backlight necessary, daylight viewable, an optional backlight (could we get Timex Indiglo?) would be nice)
    - EMR pen
    - GPS chip and nice map reader and direction app
    - nice Bézier curve drawing app which uses PDF as its native format (provide the option of toggling between annotating and directly modifying / changing the PDF) --- something like to Futurewave SmartSketch
    - a nice notepad app w/ integrated calendar --- something like to the Newton MessagePad --- and built-in outlining / hierarchy features (Nebo.app would be perfect if it only had support for hierarchy)

Basically, I want a replacement for my Newton MessagePad.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Kumabjorn - this is a great idea for a thread, especially if we look past the 12-24 months and let possibilities soar. In fact, your first suggestion has been an interest of mine since first seeing a Kindle, then the Yotaphone. In fact, there have even been attempts to do color e-ink, but apparently not too successful. it seems to me that any text focused application would be a good candidate for the modern (faster) e-ink screens.

I want to see the DEX concept take the industry by storm. Everything is concentrated into a 6-7" screened mobile device (I hesitate to call it a smartphone, but in effect it is). It would plug into a dock at your desk and run a full desktop replacement environment at work. You could do the same at home. In between (travel, Starbucks, whatever) there would be 12-14" screened docking stations, with keyboard and trackpad, with no internet connectivity - in fact the only connection would be power - you bring your own internet connectivity through your device and avoid the cesspool of public WiFi but give the users a much more usable working/surfing experience in relative safety. In fact, I'd adopt the style of the down-view table desk at Starbucks, libraries, etc. for customer convenience. In fact, if you brought your own folding keyboard, you would need nothing but the access to the small monitor.
    [​IMG]

So your total computer experience is in a (large) deck of cards; storage could easily be 512GB; Apple A11 and QC 835/845 are headed to be way powerful enough for this "solution" for many workers (those not requiring massive spreadsheets, databases, or graaphic arts capabilities).

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

The "DEX concept" is just IBM's MetaCard renamed --- similarly there was Oqo who had a similar concept --- agree that Samsung's implementation is quite nice, and quite workable for some folks.

If I were building such a desk, I'd work up some way to have an illuminated keyboard and trackpad as part of the surface (and allow the entire "screen" area to be touch-enabled).

dstrauss likes this.
  5. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie

Solid state battery, Tab S4 (preferably with a 7n Snapdragon & 120Hz display), thinner nibbed Apple Pencil

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Tesla Superstations, or whatever they are called. Wouldn't it be nice if you could charge all your devices while your car is being charged? I think Musk would be on this like fleas on you know what.

7. cecco

cecco Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to see color e-ink screens good enough to replace lcd

Bronsky likes this.
  8. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Virtual ink appears in the augmented reality of HoloLens, and you can draw at anywhere.