Hardware FIX - No Touch / Unknown USB Error

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by vvs, Aug 30, 2010.

1. harsh2050

harsh2050 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just have to update that i bought a new touchscreen cable from Ebay and replaced the one just now. Now its working great. HP support sucks. They wanted me to restore factory settings.

Thanks.

2. snoburg

snoburg Boomer

Alex,

Gotta luv ya for this post, especially the nice picture,
    Fixed my tm2 with this advice. I spent an hour with tech support they wanted me to send the unit in for repairs. I fixed the problem of a canted plug in just 10 minutes. wasn't sure it worked until I rebooted. Now all is right with my world again.
    Thanks
    Snoburg

3. Guppeh

Guppeh Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, Just a few weeks after fixing it, my cable seems to have worked its way loose again. Any suggestions what glue might work best (seeing as how the sticky tape originally put on by the manufacturer does nothing)?

I think I'll give hot glue a try. Once cold, it should be possible to pry it off should I need to re-seat it again.

Edit: Hot Glue seems to work, but only time will tell if it works itself loose again.

4. pennyknuckle

pennyknuckle Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a million for the post, saved me an enormous amount of time. For anybody who is still considering this , let me just confirm that you don't need to disassemble very much.

Basically, remove the two boots beneath the screen and the plastic piece over the hinge (beneath the hp insignia under the screen), and remove those three screws (I used a No. 2 philips precision screwdriver). Pop the plastic cover off of the screen (I would avoid prying with a screwdriver, especially under the sides of the screen, as there are a few components there). You may have to force it a bit, but it should pop off. Once the plastic cover is off, there are four screws holding the screen on (I should mention that all the screws on mine had had loctite on them and were fairly difficult to get off-- I'd recommend using a pliers to grip the precision screwdriver). Remove these with the same No. 2 philips and gently lift the screen (I just propped it up towards the speakers, I didn't lift it for fear of uprooting some cables).

From there, I used a forceps (all I had around) to pull out and plug back in the connector mentioned. I would highly recommend using a pair of tweezers or forceps, as I imagine it'd be quite easy to damage the cable removing it by hand. Its then just a matter of putting everything back together and turning your computer on. For me, it was as simple as that.

5. zenghe

zenghe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, really appreciate if you can help... I am having trouble removing the screw which is located in the hinge. I have easily removed the two screws which are at the bottom of the screen. But the 3rd one which is inside the hinge underneath the HP logo i dont know how to deal w it. Can you please let me know the exact steps? My bezel is broken so trying to replace it myself and this last screw really confused me.

Million thanks!!

6. BStacy

BStacy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello All - so I as well have a HP TM2T touchscreen that had no touch with the USB unrecognized error. I read through the thread and went to repair the beast with success. However I wanted to point out, after people have courageously dissembled their computers that the fix is quite easy. No need to undo more than 2 screws because your issue is under the frame of the screen. So...

Turn off computer - complete shutdown
    Pull off the small round runner covers on either side of the lower part of the screen.
    Unscrew the two screws underneath
    Now with careful slow patience take a small slot headed screwdriver and carefully twist the plastic bezel frame along the sides and top BUT not the bottem.
    On the right hand side you will see the fingerprint electronics near the top - ignore - further down the right side is the portrait / landscape button - ignore
    One item down from that is a black-taped connection - take your small slothead screwdriver and gently push that into the connection - even if it doesnt look like its disconnected
    Now, turn on computer, with the frame loose and test.
    Once you are satisfied that your touch is back then reverse procedure to close it up again ( don't forget to put that tape back over it - even though whats the point

So no need to dissemble the entire device and I hope you are as easily successful as I was.
    And a great thanks to those pioneers who ripped apart their computer to blazen the trail for all the rest.
    Cheers

Bill

7. horn412

horn412 Pen Pal - Newbie

You guys are brilliant! I have several of these laptop/tablets and I couldn't figure out the problem. I even switched hdd to see if it was a software or hardware problem--and the touchscreen worked when I did that. So I was skeptical that this would work--BUT IT DID!!! I guess the swapped hdd hadn't registered the unknown device error yet. Thank you!

8. georgeslanglois

georgeslanglois G. Langlois

Hey, do you still have the link where you purchased?

9. TheJai

TheJai Pen Pal - Newbie

Golly Thanks. I just picked one of these cute Hewet Poopies up for $60 in a Craigslist steal. I promised my self if that fix worked I would make an account just to thank you. I would have never though to check the controllers behind the screen.

10. Mattcanpaint

Mattcanpaint Pen Pal - Newbie

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. This fixed my hunk of junk instantly.