Hardware FIX - No Touch / Unknown USB Error

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by vvs, Aug 30, 2010.

1. vvs

vvs Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All!

I usually never post, but registered just for that.

I encountered dreaded disappearing touch/pen in my TM2 after taken it out/carrying it into backpack for a day. Windows was reporting 'Error 49' and showing 'Unknown USB device'.

I am software professional so was sure it is hardware related. Also my TM2 is out of warranty so I decided to just open it up and see what is inside.

So don't be fulled by numerous posts here about this being software problem - it is quite simple.

Basically there is stupid No-Lock usb connection inside screen which can very easily get loose! Just open it up and re-attach [or better glue it].

This is my TM2 opened up and powered:

[​IMG]

How to open instructions can be found of HP site here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02262878.pdf

Follow topic named 'Removing Screen Assembly'

Some tips: you don't have to remove HDD. You dont have to remove WLAN antenna wires, just do not pull hard =) Screen itself has 3 screws at the bottom, two under rubber buttons and one under hinge cover. Rest is clips, easy to put back =) While at this you can route new antenna wires in case you want to add 3G PCI-E card later =)))

Hope it helps,
    Alex.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. seyekul-tech

seyekul-tech Pen Pal - Newbie

This is surely the problem I am having with mine. I just sent it in to HP for repair AGAIN, but this time I had identified the source of the problem as movement of the unit (and turning it upside down as the temporary fix). Now I will know what to do if they send it back again un-fixed! Thanks!

3. rakesh1988

rakesh1988 Pen Pal - Newbie

oh man.... thanks a lot for this post....
    i was so so so tensed when this stopped working.... ill try this out and hope it works fine...

4. bija

bija Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you. I just fiXed my touchscreen.

I noticed a couple of things that weren't totally straightforward pulling this thing apart:

1) In order to get the top panel off I had to remove all of the screws labeled M2 and M2.5. I also removed all of the outer case screws on the bottom, and all of the screws under the battery. This was probably over-kill, but I still couldn't pull the top off after following the HP instructions.

2) You don't actually need to disconnect the keyboard or the touchpad to remove the screen.

3) Once the screen is off, there are 3 screws holding the plastic boarder on. Two under the little rubber feet (careful prying these off, I used my fingernail and tore off a chunk of the foot), and the third is under the metal hinge cover (screen-side). The metal cover just pops off. After these are removed you can gently pry it off.

4) It might have been possible to repair the cable in the monitor without doing any dis-assembly of the base. In my case, the cable wasn't fully disconnected, just kinda loose in the plug. I think one could just take off the casing on the screen and use tweezers to reconnect and glue the plug. One may even be able to unscrew the screen from the casing and set it on a cloth on-top of the keyboard. Then you could get access to the cable and the plug. If I ever have to deal with this again that is what I'm going to try to do.

5. shanedd

shanedd Pen Pal - Newbie

THANK YOU!!!! This post was very helpful and brilliant. Also, I tried the method of just removing the screen and it works. There is no need to do all the dis assembly. Thanks again.

6. sturgeob

sturgeob Pen Pal - Newbie

I am glad I found this post. I bought a TM2 recently and the touchscreen doesn't work. Am I correct in understanding that all I need to remove the portion of the unit to access the USB plug for the digitizer is to remove the 3 screws mentioned at the bottom of the screen frame? Thanks folks!

7. limloren

limloren Pen Pal - Newbie

I just fixed my unresponsive "unknown usb device" touch screen problem. You only need to disassemble the screen part and i took out the screws for the screen on the right side, the side with the wires. Mine wasn't actually out either but i pulled out the cable and put it back in just to be safe. Tweezers are required for this job. Touchscreen works great now! Thanks for the tip!

8. harsh2050

harsh2050 Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried the trick but no success. Now,it doesn't show any USB error nor the prob is resolved. I suspect that the connector is defected. Any advice?

9. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

does any wacom hardware show up in device manager?
    i had the same issue, tried unplugging everything and plugging it all back in, and the touch screen and pen input aren't working.

10. harsh2050

harsh2050 Pen Pal - Newbie

In device manager,i can see 2 wacom hardwares. 1st one is wacom mouse and 2nd is wacom virtual hid driver(Human interface device).

Do u also think that the connector is defected,so we need to change it completely?