Hard drive upgrade on M400

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by mike1728, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike1728

mike1728 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just recieved an M400 with the default 40GB drive and I wanted to upgrade to a newer one. I found a 80GB 7200RPM Hitachi drive which I installed with no trouble and then began trying to load Windows on (using a regular XP CD with drivers loaded, not the recovery discs). The problem is the Windows installer doesn't detect the drive, despite the fact that the drive shows up on the RAID configuration page of the computer BIOS. I thought maybe I didn't load the drivers correctly so I put the old drive back in, and restarted the setup. This time the setup program detected the disk with no trouble.

I figured I'd try my Vista Beta 2 CD just to see what would happen, and it had no problem detecting the hard drive. It seems like it could be a driver issue then, but I am under the general impression that all drives are pretty much standardized these days. So, to summarize, on the XP Tablet PC CD with slipstreamed RAID, only the old hard drive gets detected by the setup program, whereas with the Vista DVD, it detects the new drive. Is there another driver I am missing? Has anyone else encountered this before?

2. mike1728

mike1728 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I still don't know quite why I had a problem but I managed to fix it. I popped in the Recovery DVD and it gave me a message saying that the disk wasn't initialized and it offered to do that for me. I clicked Yes, the screen turned blank for a few seconds, it restarted, and I tried the setup again, and it detected my drive with no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.