hard drive upgrade for j3400?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by azelll, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there!
    Does anyone ever tried to upgrade the Motion Computing j3400 hard drive?
    Mine start to feel old and need an upgrade... I was thinking to put an ssd in it, and I think the right kind of hard drive would be a 1.8 zif, same kind of the macbook air, but does anyone know for sure?
    I am also wondering if I can add more ram, and reach 8giga, or if it would have problems.
    Thanks in advance for the help

2. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Man, it's so hard to find any information about the Motion Series J!
    I hope this message wouldn't look like spam, but all I found about are few pictures, and I was wondering if anyone knows for sure what kind of hard drive is this
    image14.jpg

thank you again for the help, I promise I will post the pictures of the upgrade for reference once I know what's in there :)

3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

That appears to be a Samsung 1.8 SSD, p/n MMCRE64G8MXP-0VB
    I believe I saw the same photo from gottabemobile which had just enough resolution to make out the p/n.

I bought a similar 1.8 Samsung SSD refurb with a slightly different p/n, hoping that it will work. I have yet to install it as my J3500 has seen heavy use lately. Currently, it has a 160gig conventional hard drive, so I'm hoping I don't run into interface issues. I still haven't been able to succesfully open the case without feeling like I'm going to seriously deform the plastic around the keyboard dock connector.

4. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! I think is that, but I decided I will open it and check what's going on there to be sure... as soon as I get my Samsung Slate back.
    And I will post the pictures of the operation... my plastic is already slightly opening, so I guess I will have to glue it anyway :)
    How's the j3500? I love Motion Computing, they have amazing screens, and I love drawing on it, I just wish they were more powerful... but I am confident that it will run great with an SSD.
    I also think that I am going to experiment with an external graphic card using the expresscard slot, as soon as I found a cheap one on Ebay, hehehehe

5. nyb72

I like the j3500 so far, plus I got an amazing deal on it ( I think the person who sold it thought it was a J3400). It is the i5 and I upgraded to windows 8. After using a touchscreen, I just can't go back to non-touchscreen tablets. I do want to upgrade to an SSD and increase the ram, but so far, it is handling everything I throw at it. (I work in a technical profession, so there's a lot of computational number crunching involved).

Compared to the tablets that are coming out recently, I think the J3500 has some underrated features, notably the 12.1" screen, the dual battery bays, the full size pen with silo and its built like a tank. But I have to admit, I'm envious of the size and weight of the new tablets like the Surface Pro or the Samsung Slate.

Lately, I've been trying to find a portfolio-like case that can hold a J3500 and serve as a stand, but not having much luck. I'm surprised Motion hasn't got anyone to build one.

6. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

I own a Samsung Slate, and I can honestly tell you that I wish it was half an inch ticker... it feel so light and delicate... I am so worried to break it down every time I use it, plus the screen is nice and bright, but if you take it outside you can't see anything, and it doesn't have a nice texture as the Motion Computing does... it's also a very very fast machine and is easy to find accessories for it..only few people own motion computing, so finding accessories, guides, and parts for it is very hard :-/
    Anyway, I will open the j3400 over the weekend, and let you know how hard it is :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  7. nyb72

Just wondering if you've tried a hard drive upgrade yet?

I've finally opened up my J3500. The keyboard connector was pretty tough, but a few swipes back and forth with a credit card finally convinced it to release.