Hard Drive (tx2500z)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bernok, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought I'd share my worst experience with the tx2500z so far.

I received my new tx2500z CTO about two weeks ago. This past weekend I was working on my school work and when I booted my computer I got to a S.M.A.R.T screen. This is what it said.

I followed the instructions, backed up my data and ran the diagnostics, not just the Hard Drive test, but all of them. No problems were found.
    I also ran HD Tune test, as well as Hitachi's own tests and it said my Drive was healthy.

However, every time I boot the computer right after the BIOS screen and before the Vista loading screen I get this SMART message. The message basically means that while the HD works fine right now, it can break anytime.

I talked to HP and they will be sending me a new Hard Disk and I will replace it and send the "damaged" one back. (Note: I have the 160GB 5400rpm drive) I will post back with the results, the drive should arrive this afternoon.

On a side note, I browsed through Newegg and found some decent hard drives.

Has anyone upgraded their hard drive? I think the performance of the tx2xxxx could be boosted a lot by upgrading to a 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive.

Update: The drive already arrived and I installed it. It was a tighter fight in the TX2500z and it was a different brand hard drive. The old one was a Hitachi and this new one is the Western Digital Scorpio. Windows installation was smooth.

The HP tech support was great. I talked to them on Tuesday and the drive arrived on Wednesday at noon. (I didn't have time to install until yesterday)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. tedmozer

tedmozer Pen Pal - Newbie

I upgraded to a 250 gig 7200 rpm drive right after receiving my TX2500z. Did not use the 160 enough to tell if the 250 improved things that much. I assumed it would.......

I use Acronis to clone the 160 to the 250.

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Norton ghost also works well, if you care.

the jump from 5400 to 7200rpm in most cases is substantial, i would go for it.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

yeah norton ghost works, but i think acronis is a much better & user friendly product. Since finding Acronis i have kissed Norton goodbye and not looked back.

5. Kyle Porter

I find it is a matter of prefernce. If you have no experience ghosting or doing backups go with acronis.

Due to my personal experience Norton Ghost just feels more familiar to me.

6. Bernok

Would you reccomend clone the drive or reinstall everything.

It's new, I did a clean install already to remove Bloatware and only have a few programs.

7. tedmozer

tedmozer Pen Pal - Newbie

You could clone and try. Then reformat and install the OS fresh on the new drive.
    I kept the orginal disk with most of the orginal HP software incase I messed up the new drive.
    Acronis has a 14 trial period that allows you to use it to clone your disk. If you decide you will never use the software again, you can opt not to purchase.....

8. Kyle Porter

Go with cloning/ ghosting. MUCH easier.

9. Bernok

Thanks for your help. I decided to make a backup and I'm still gonna do a fresh install. I want to create another image of the hard drive after a clean install but before I put all my other software in. Kinda like my own recovery disk.

10. CTSxViper

CTSxViper Pen Pal - Newbie

I upgraded to the 320 gig 7200 16meg cache and it works fantastic. It was a great investment.