Hard drive protection on tx2500?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DennisTT, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DennisTT

DennisTT Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there any hard drive protection on the tx2500 series? For example the system that temporarily disables the hard drive if a sudden movement is detected?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You should check if the actual hard drive manufacturer has any such programs. I'm not aware of HP having their own software.

3. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't believe there is, most of the ones that are implemented by lenovo and sony require separate chips to perform such functions.

If you are looking to add this functionality you can buy one of the newer drives that has this built in. A search on google for built in free fall sensor should be a good start. Hope that helps!

4. DRTigerlilly

as far as i understood, these functions were provided by the accelerometer, not necessarily by a chip, and all tablets have accelerometers built in. I completely accept that i could be wrong though.

5. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm fairly certain the tx2500s don't have accelerometers but you're right in that there would need to be an accelerometer or some other way to detect free fall, I was just lazy and used chip to cover that :eek:

The thinkpads and sony's however, do have this built into their laptop which is why it will work with any harddrives.

If you look at the dell m1330s they can be configured w/ free fall sensor only with a 7200rpm seagate, and that is because the sensor is built into the harddrive, so if the OP bought a hard drive with built in free fall sensor like that then his tx2500 would have that capability although i'm not sure if it would interact with the OS or if the free fall capability is transparent to the OS.

6. DRTigerlilly

gotcha, thanks for the explanation.