1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

HALP! Lose Hinge Issue (tx2000)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Juice, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright... I've had this computer for about 3 months and out of nowhere (about 2 weeks ago) the hinge got loose

I'm very nice to this device and nothing I've done to it could have caused this...

I love my tablet but this is simply unacceptable and I was wondering what other people might think of my predicament

The screen when in "laptop mode" wobbles up and down (about 1" of play)

This makes it a HUGE pain in the ars to try and tap the screen like this...

The round part where it swivels is working fine, so it seems the issue has to do with the area where the monitor connects...

Some options I've considered (pardon my ignorance, I don't know what my options are with the basic warranty):

• Return, maybe spend a little extra for a tx2500

• Return and look at other tablets/brands

• Have HP repair it

• Return it for credit towards newer model?

(if it's not obvious, I'd like to update to the tx2500, this god awful onboard video is killing me)

I didn't get the extended warranty, however I do have the basic year warranty that comes with it...
    (does this mean that I can't return it for my money back?)

/////////////////////////////////

Oh, on a side not, there's a tiny little speck of dust or something under the passive digitizer... it's been there since I got it, but I've just been ignoring it.

Video1:
    http://www.aluminumwrench.com/faultyhinge.avi
    http://www.aluminumwrench.com/faultyhinge.zip
  2. meng-chieh

meng-chieh Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're able to have it returned, return it and look at the TX2500. I'd stay away from the 64-bit windows though - I thought seriously about it and in the end the compatibility issues just can't seem to make it worthwhile for me.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm not sur you're going to be able to return it after 3 months.

You can see if hp will repair it under warranty.

and please tell me you weren't writing on the screen with it in laptop mode?
  4. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

I run x64 on all of my machines without any issues whatsoever... :rolleyes:

I don't see what that has to do with a faulty screen hinge...

I imagine not... but I won't find out until I try :)

uh... after paying so much for it, I'd kind of expect it to handle a few taps while opened...

////////////////////////////////////////////////

anyways... I've put up a video.. granted it's from the webcam...

I'll put up another with a separate camera eventually...
  5. meng-chieh

meng-chieh Pen Pal - Newbie

haha yeah, I wasn't trying to say that the faulty hinge has anything to do with the 64-bit windows. I was merely suggesting that if you were to go for the TX2500 that you should look at 32-bit windows. But since you've had no problems, go for it!
  6. twistntouch

twistntouch Pen Pal - Newbie

I know you have passed your return period if you purchased from the HP US Home & Home Office Store, as you only get 21 days from the date of delivery. If you purchased elsewhere (say, Best Buy, for example) your return period is dependent upon that company (Again, for example Best Buy's policy is only 30 days). So it seems like you are SOL on a return...

That being said, your best option then is to send it in for repairs if you don't need it for a while. Despite some bad stories, HP is *usually* pretty good about making repairs and getting your device back to you within a couple weeks.

Also, you could put it up on ebay and get something else... Is the hinge flex only forward/backward when in tablet mode? Does it move if you don't push on it?
  7. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

blegh...

~sigh~ School starts in less than a month. I suppose I can use my macbook until it comes back...

you mean laptop mode?^

and I don't have to push it, I can just tilt it forward or back and it falls whichever way gravity is pulling it...

I'll try and get another video up soon~monday (need to get a camera first)
  8. BerkleyJ

BerkleyJ Pen Pal - Newbie

The tx2500 doesn't have a dedicated graphics card either, but it's still the best available in a tablet PC:D
  9. jomodad

jomodad Pen Pal - Newbie

warranty repairs is the way to go. Or open it up and see if you can and tighten up a screw or get out the hot glue gun. It would be nice If you could return a computer after using it a year for a full refund. Expecially when they come out with a better newer faster toy. Buy the 2500 use it at school have your 2000 repaired and then post it on Craigs List or eBay. Buy accidental damage warr for the new one.
  10. BerkleyJ

BerkleyJ Pen Pal - Newbie

What he said, Buy a new tx2500 with the $500 coupon and just sell your tx2000 because repairs will probably cost too much. Plus, I have a hunch that it's just a loose screw or something. I have a dv6000 that had the same problem and it was just a loose screw I fixed myself. I'd check out the repair manual if you can find it online somewhere.
  11. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea... Sounds like it's my only option aside from...

/////////////////////////

Blegh, I'm not quite 3 months in :'(

This is an extreme inconvenience considering the time... I really can't afford to just pick up another one of these...

I certainly hope they don't cost too much, or anything at all seeing as how it's still under the basic warranty o_O

I may do that before I contact hp, as it does in fact feel like a loose screw... Needless to say, I didn't want to feck with it
    (but how hard can it be to tighten a screw?)
  12. jomodad

jomodad Pen Pal - Newbie

in 2003 I had to have both of my ankles fused. I was in the hospital 2 weeks and in a wheelchair for months and then in walking casts for more months. Getting around was a real pain in all ways. Anyway... I made plans for what to do to keep myself from going nuts and a new computer was one of my bright ideas. I ordered the best Sony Video Editing Capable sysytem I could afford. I got it just before I went in for the surgery (if I remember right). It was supposed to have a memory card reader for my digital camera. I stuck the card in the slot and it just dropped inside the case. Plunk! I called them and they wanted me to box it up and send it in for warr repairs! What?! They told me I could void my warr if I tried to fix it. I opened the case and it was lying there near the lost memory stick. It only needed one screw to attach it to its bezel. To make a short story long... I screwed it and just pretended I never called them. (Meaning I attached it to it's bezel using the correct screw not meaning I gave up) Box it up and send it back. What?!

If you can open it up without too much surgery or stress take a look. A loose screw is no big deal. If it looks damaged beyond that send it in for warr.

If you got the time. Take it to where you bought it and raise some hell keep asking for their boss and say how unhappy you are. Keep asking for the next person to talk to keep making calls and sending letters. Maybe someone will finaly give in. I doubt they will give you cash. You might get store credit or they might give you another 2000. You can sell the new 2000? or just use it happly. You never know what will happen. The most you will loose is the time invested and you get a rep in that store as a trouble maker. If it is a big chain they don't usually care 'cause they will send the damaged one back for credit. I have met people that rais hell and complain about everthing as a rule 'cause they know they will get special treatment and discounts. There can be perks to being disgruntled.

You can always buy the accitental damage insurance and not mention the loose hinge and then after a few more months and the hinge gets worse you can call it in for repair. It's a little dishonest. You only need to do that if the original war won't cover something like the hinge. Plus you say it is from "normal use" and that should be covered.

I am excited 'cause I am getting a free iPhone 'cause my sis thinks she can't live without the new iPhone and the new iPhone makes the old iPhone have no resale value. Yea! Sometimes being in the old technology wake of others is good.
  13. Goofus

Goofus Pen Pal - Newbie

The same thing happened to my old Gateway after about two weeks. I didn't want to wait for it to be repaired, so I took it apart myself. Somewhere I found an actual service manual for it online which detailed the dissassembly. I found about 6 loose screws. I reinstalled them with loctite and the screen has stayed tight for the last 4 years.
  14. Jgigs

Jgigs Pen Pal - Newbie

15. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

16. JSX

JSX Pen Pal - Newbie

I got the same problem with my hinge after 3 months and sent to Hp repair.
    UPS pick up and return within 7 days... so i think you just sent to repair
  17. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

If it's still under warranty why bother trying to fix it yourself. You might actually do more damage and void the warranty. Shipping is free to and fro if it's under warranty. It takes about a couple of days for the pre-paid box to arrive and another week to come back after you send it in.
  18. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

I did it myself for several reasons:

• I wanted to provide detailed information for anyone else who wants to try it.

• I knew I could.

• I Didn't want to wait for HP. (2 weeks vs. 30min)

• I imagine the person who would have fixed it is no more qualified than I am with a tx2000 pdf.