Hades Canyon NUC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Jan 8, 2018.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Initial impression: this NUC with the shocking marriage of an 8th gen Intel CPU and AMD Radeon Vega GPU works very well with everything I have tried. It seems dogs and cats can live together successfully.

Intel's automated driver utility updated everything without a hitch, including BIOS, and there appears to be no incompatibilities with Windows 10 1809.

As an aside, I was also pleased that transferring standalone Word 2016 to this new computer didn't require me jumping through a bunch of hoops like last time on the Surface Book. Perhaps they only do that every x number of new installations?

I wonder why Intel is abandoning the concept after only one iteration? The NUC roadmap into 2020 has no direct successor.

https://nucblog.net/2018/12/2019-2020-nuc-roadmap-leaked/

It looks like Intel will instead increase the NUC size to allow a PCIe X16 slot for a discrete graphics card of the user's own choosing. I wonder, at what size point is the NUC no longer the compact and power-frugal NUC we've come to know and love?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. dellaster

FYI, the 19.2.3 Adrenaline drivers released two days ago work fine on Hades Canyon NUCs and claim to provide a 17% performance boost for mobile GPU chips. I definitely have a noticeable framerate gain in Skyrim SE.

The best part about this is that Hades Canyon NUCs apparently no longer need to rely on Intel to provide updated graphics drivers now that the mainstream Adrenaline ones work. That was always a potential gotcha going forward with the unique Kaby Kake G/Radeon Vega M mashup.

I wonder if they'll also work on the laptops with that chipset?

3. dellaster

Okay, scratch that. Notebookcheck.net asked AMD specifically about the Kaby Lage G / Vega M chipset and they said it was excluded from their Adrenaline drivers and they're up to Intel.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A...s-all-Ryzen-Vega-and-Radeon-PCs.411999.0.html

Intel has put up a non-certified version of Adrenaline 2019 for Hades Canyon. I'm trying them now—they appear to be exactly the same as AMD's with a color change from AMD red to Intel blue and the Intel label on the control panel.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-64-bit-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK-NUC8i7HVK

I've run into occasional glitches in Skyrim SE, like the framerate dropping to 30fps and locking there until I do a quick save, and the GPU seems to run a bit (5°C) hotter on average, so I think I might revert to the certified drivers from last August that I was using before.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...But will they do an update to the Skull/Hades Canyon NUC's ?..>>

We'll have to wait and see. For what little it's worth, I haven't seen anything recently on this class of upgrade...