Hades Canyon NUC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. Steve S

3. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

So... there are lakes in the canyons, eh? I didn't catch on to the terrain metaphor until this thread. Are there highways between the lakes, with Ferraris on the highways? I hope so.

I've always loved small, quiet, low-power computers. I used to have an ARM-powered Netwinder. That was a cool box. My NUC is one of the originals. It probably has a dry lake in a dusty canyon, but I still like it. I'm running Haiku OS on it now. That OS finally got to beta.

But, I'm getting pretty far from tablet PCs.

Marty and Starlight5 like this.
  4. Steve S

dellaster likes this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

"...the Bean Canyon NUC came out ahead of the Huawei MateBook X Prowith NVIDIA GeForce MX150 graphics in most tests."

Something to keep in mind is that the Huawei Matebook X uses the gimped MX150—10W 2GB—rather than the full 25W 4GB standard dGPU.

But the i7 Bean Canyon NUC does slightly outperform the old Skull Canyon, the first "gaming" version of the NUC a few years ago.

Best info on NUCs can be found on The NUC Blog: https://nucblog.net

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. dellaster

I had discounted the notion of upgrading my NUC6i5SYK to the Hades Canyon because I figured even the NUC8i7HNK 65W TDP version, with monitor, would suck down a lot more than the 100W limit I've set (I travel around full-time in a motorhome, nearly always off-grid on solar power). After all, people like the Anandtech folks got these kinds of results on the 100W TDP unit:

"... In the AIDA64 stress tests, we see that the CPU die power tracks the sum of the iGPU and IA cores power - around 65W, as expected. The dGPU power is only around 35W, but the maximum at-wall power consumption is as high as 175W. We are still looking into the reasons for this anomalous readings, but, it is likely that the current hardware monitoring programs are missing some key power consumption aspects of the KBL-G package. ..."
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1257...yon-nuc8i7hvk-review-kaby-lakeg-benchmarked/8

All of the reviews I could find that tested power consumption (rare!) had similar results. So I figured that the NUC8i7HNK would peak at about 35W less, ~140W, since the package TDP was only 35W less (100W vs 65W).

l could never find a review of the low-end version to see if my assumption was true—it seemed that every single blog, website, and YouTube reviewer opted for the NUC8i7HVK; so frustrating—until the other day I found this review of the 65W NUC8i7HNK:

Wonder of wonders, he measured the power consumption! He says he didn't ever see it go over about 66W under load. The heck?! Then why does the NUC8i7HVK hit 175W? A
    nyway, that's more like it; I can live with that if the monitor doesn't draw too much power. I also learned that you can lower the TDP and disable CPU turbo in bios if even lower power consumption is desired.

The second major thing that changed my opinion is the find of a 15.6" 4k FreeSync HDR monitor with anti-flicker tech, VESA mounting (with extra accessory), and blue light filtering:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HF6TLPC

Nope, never heard of this Chinese company but they have a bunch of excellent reviews on Ebay along with the handful of 5-stars on Amazon. 12V 2A charger (24W), so probably a average of 10-15W consumption at a typical 50% brightness. Back when I got my first NUC I dreamed of such a monitor—just perfect for me!—but it didn't exist back then.

tl;dr — I have ordered the 15.6" monitor and if it works out with my old NUC I'll be buying the lower-powered (65W TDP) Hades Canyon NUC.

darkmagistric and Steve S like this.
  7. dellaster

NUC8i7HNK
    20190131_110310-01.jpeg

SSD & RAM installation was a snap. So was Windows 10 Pro 1809 from a flash drive (quickest ever for me, around 15 minutes, I think, from empty SSD to using Edge). Downloading Intel's NUC updates now, a bit over 1 GB on less-than-ideal cellular.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I must confess a bit of envy. My desktop is in need of an overhaul (more so with cooling and file clutter admittedly)......been very much considering just opting for the Hades Canyon.....Despite the power brick being the size of the computer itself, I utterly adore the form factor of the Hades. Its got more then enough power for my needs and I particularly like how it can push 5-6 monitors from its built in vega graphics.

dellaster likes this.
  9. dellaster

I received the 15.6" monitor this morning. Everything appears very good. No light bleed or bad pixels noticed. A bit too glossy and it has a gamer aesthetic... But it's pretty much the only game in town if you want a 4k this size with FreeSync. The latter seems to work well in Skyrim SE, running 45-60fps with unadjusted High setting @ 1080p. Very smooth. They say you can't go back after using a variable sync monitor and I'm seeing why.

The NUC itself was a bit annoying with its low fan motor hum all the time. Setting the fans to Quiet instead of Balanced fixed that. Totally silent now unless it's getting pushed, like in a game, and at that time there's gameplay sounds and music so it's drowned out. Plus I tend to wear headphones when gaming.

I also turned off Turbo Boost in BIOS 'cause the CPU is more than beastly enough without it. Why burn watts and generate heat I don't need to? Sure, it would make ripping a DVD in Handbrake quicker but I do that like five times a year. Its not at all helpful for Skyrim SE—the limiter is the GPU, not CPU.

I'm quite happy with my setup so far. It almost makes me nervous that everything has been going easy, trouble free, and above my expectations. Hoping there isn't some gotcha coming up to balance things. ;)

20190201_111855-02.jpeg 20190201_112009-02.jpeg

That RGB skull gets turned off as soon as more important things are taken care of and I figure out where the settings are. :rolleyes: Fortunately it's completely invisible when unlit.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    thatcomicsguy and darkmagistric like this.
  10. dellaster

Yeah, the 230W power brick is HUGE. It's made for the 100W Hades Canyon (which is clearly TDP uncapped) and they didn't bother making a separate smaller one for the 65W version that I got which could probably get by safely with half the provided wattage. Oh well, it has plenty of cord between itself and the NUC, not hard to hide it away under the desk.