Hades Canyon NUC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Starlight5 and darkmagistric like this.
  2. Steve S

Starlight5 and dellaster like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The update to the Skull Canyon NUC looks pretty damn sweet. Given my graphics card needs are limited to pushing 3-5 monitors....I was very close to forgoing my desktop for the last gen Skull Canyon since the Thunderbolt 3 would at least allow me to EGPU around that should the need arise.

This update though....with a pretty significant increase in ports, as well as on-board discrete graphics is very tempting. Can't say I'm not concerned about potential thermal issues with putting that much power in a tiny box.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Bean Canyon i5 NUC is likely to be my replacement computer around a year from now, assuming the thermals are good and the fan isn’t like a jet turbine. My current NUC 6i5SYK is one of my favorite computers ever, combined with a 23” 4K monitor @ 200% scaling. It hits the sweet spot of power with the Iris 540 graphics; good thermals—the fan rarely revs up high enough for me to hear it, and when it does it’s because I’m gaming and the music/effects are loud enough to cover up the fan noise anyway; and power consumption which is low enough to be doable in a motorhome with just 235W of solar power while I’m wintering in the middle of the SW desert with no hookups, like I am right now. ;)

The NUC from Hell would be great for gaming, but overkill (& too noisy, power-hungry) for someone like me who’s most demanding game is still Skyrim. I’ll probably still be playing it five years from now.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Steve S

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I nearly bought one of these back when the NUC line was only a couple of months old. I needed a reliable home machine to replace my old tower PC.

I decided to go instead with an eBay laptop because it was also small, affordable and quiet, but also had a docking port with a ton of peripheral options and (this is the big one) a built-in battery and power conditioning electronics so that I wouldn't have to mess around with external gear to manage unreliable grid power.

Is there some advantage to going with a NUC over a laptop these days?

7. Steve S

<<...Is there some advantage to going with a NUC over a laptop these days?..>>

Well, I guess the "advantage" is that you can customize your interface devices (Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse, plus...). Of course, you can do this with a laptop, too, but it might end up costing you more (for the same level of performance)...?!??

8. Steve S

9. Steve S