Gvido dual screen e-ink reader with Wacom EMR for Sheet Music?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DRTigerlilly, May 8, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks like Gvido is partnering with VAIO on this one. VAIO has registered this with the FCC.

This thing will apparently also be sold by VAIO under the name "Digital Music Score" and model number "DMS-W1".
    No idea if they actually worked together on the hardware or if this is just a distribution partnership.

A minor additional bit of info is the battery capacity at 1720 mAh/ 6.4 Wh.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: https://fccid.io/2AL4MDMS-W1

Marty likes this.
  2. kvoram

Arrrggghhh, that prototype video is from 2011, and we are still waiting...... o_O:(:mad:

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

But isn't ClearInk almost ready for release?

4. kvoram

Well, products with ClearInk are thus far "planned" for 2018.

No announcement from a ClearInk partner for a specific device yet either. I really hope something cool with reasonable price will come out next year. So, we are still waiting...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Ok, I had the impression that they were further along in the process.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I'm looking at the ClearInk demo from DisplayWeek 2017 and...I'm not that impressed? Am I missing something? :confused:

30Hz refresh is nice, but the display itself is not very high contrast, and there's no color (or very low saturation if there is).

The Fujitsu color e-ink from 6 years ago was far more impressive, in my opinion.

7. kvoram

High refresh rate is big technical hurdle, the Fujitsu prototype was much slower at 1.4 Hz. Even if it is not that great if you compare it to other prototypes or to LCDs in some aspects, it is a huge improvement over monochrome e-paper. That's what matters for me.

For me it will be a secondary device anyway, so I will be happy with anything that offers some color and is affordable. I mean, I am tired of reading about prototypes (same with foldable displays). Just release something, anything into the market to get things actually started. Thus far, the only somewhat popular consumer implementation of color "e-paper" that comes to my mind, are the Pebble smartwatches, which offered only 64 colors.

I don't like the idea of discussing only possibilities for yet another decade.

It would be nice if I could actually buy a good color e-ink/e-paper device before I hop on Musk's or Bezos' rocket to Mars. ;)

8. Marty

Hmm, on the one hand I agree with this. There needs to be more passive display devices in general. But if contrast and color reproduction is poor, releasing with a large fanfare will just solidify in the public mind how "crappy" e-ink is compared to LCDs.

In my mind, the strength of e-ink lies in static content. I doubt many people (besides us techies ;)) are going to be using it to watch video, so for now, the focus on 30 Hz is wasted. It should be on beautiful, crisp sunlight-viewable color displays.

9. Kumabjorn

Office applications are surprisingly static. It is only a very small part of the screen that updates while producing content, the rest just sits there.

10. Marty

Oh and another reason why I may feel somewhat ambivalent to ClearInk's 30 Hz is that in 2012, Japan Display was able to produce a backlight-free LCD panel:

I mean that thing can do full 60 Hz sunlight-viewable, color video! How cool is that! :thumbsup: