Gvido dual screen e-ink reader with Wacom EMR for Sheet Music?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DRTigerlilly, May 8, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree. The pricing of e-ink displays in the thousands is all wrong for greater market penetration vs LCDs.

At this rate, we'll never see a consumer color e-ink device... :(

But just in case anyone else is tempted by these larger e-ink displays, here is a cool video of the 13.3 incher I mentioned acting as a PC monitor:

So cool! :thumbsup:

kvoram likes this.
  2. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I honestly think, like I said above, given the new Sony is $699, $1600 for basically two of these with custom stuff to make it usable by musicians without needing other software isn't completely unreasonable. But it is out of reach of many who would use or need it. At $1000 I know I'd plunk down my money right now. $1200 all in with the accessories, again, no issues - would happily pay it. I don't think it needs unlocked Android.

The DPT-RP1 on its own is *so close*. Using just a PDF reader is fine, and you can organize (albeit loosely) set lists. The inability to use BT pedals really kills it for me. I'm hoping SOny does reach out to me and they eventually enable it. At $700, it's the right size (paper), super lightweight, and will do nearly everything I want. It's why I preordered but cancelled when I found out it wouldn't work as I hoped.

3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

It's obviously priced based on the cost of the hardware, so it makes sense at its current price. BUT, that puts it out of range in the greater market context. If all I'm going to do with this device is read music, I don't want to pay more than a few hundred for it.

I was initially insistent that I have a separate machine for music, but using my Surfacebook as my main computer and my main reader has been fine. If I really don't want to take the Surfacebook out, I have the chromebook too. But that means my benchmark pricing for a dedicated music reader would be under $450.

eInk definitely has its advantages for reading, and I have to admit, I feel the strain after a long rehearsal with a light up screen, even with a matte protector on it. I'm not sure if that's because of the light up screen, or just a product of most rehearsals going past my bed time these days.

It would be interesting to see them also put out a single screen version at a much lower price to see if that would catch on. 2 pages across does have appeal in some contexts. I tend to not mess with the foot pedal when I'm practicing and would appreciate two pages, even though that won't eliminate all the page turns. And when I go to institutes, it'd be helpful to have full page music on one screen and full page notes on the other screen rather than having to switch between them.

It's like the Kno is coming back from the dead with eInk this time around. I was very interested in that at the time.

4. FenderP

Here's where you and I differ - I prefer dedicated devices which often (but not always) excel vs. converged. Computers and standard tablets (and as I said, I switch between my SP3 and the RZ) are imperfect tools for music reading to me. If I, for example, forget to change the power settings, it's never fun in the middle of a tune for the screen to go dark. I don't need all the additional functionality, and I can separate work tool from music tool. I still use a dedicated music player FWIW - not my phone.

The DPT-RP1 is basically that (sans the playlist) if they enable BT pedals. You can do a 2 page (or document) view with the device on its side, so for 2 page music, it should work. I do like that the GVIDO is optimized for music, though. Even though I cancelled my order, I'm still intrigued by the RP1. The size/weight ratio is perfect for portability.

5. violajack

Oh, and another thing about all of this is the needed industry shift from the publishing side. Book publishers gave in a while ago and settled on digital options that can resize and reflow text. We have MusicXML, but until publishers find a way to make digital music affordable and practical, and let go of some paranoia, it'll never be developed as a final format. Right now, MusicXML is primarily an in between format for going between Finale, Sibelius, or whatever other engraving/publishing software you're using. But, properly fleshed out with the right reader, it could allow the same flexibility book readers offer like resizeable and reflowable music. Until then, we're stuck trying to find a screen big enough to make PDF scans of oversized sheet music readable.

6. FenderP

Agree that MusicXML is imperfect. Scanning in music is a PITA - I'm on the hunt for a larger format scanner that isn't an arm and a leg since a lot of my music is bigger than 8.5x11. Fujitsu has one which will set me back probably $700ish. But not having to schlep my suitcase of music every 2 weeks? Ultimately worth it.

7. violajack

MobileSheets should keep your screen on for you, FYI. There's a setting, and it's always on when displaying music by default. If you're just using a generic PDF reader, that could be a problem, but I think I even have Xodo set up to keep the screen on all the time.

8. FenderP

When I'm doing a Real Book style gig, I generally just use a PDF reader. I only really need something more advanced for the big band gigs. I still hate using a PC as a music reader. Always have. When I used an Android tablet it wasn't much better.

BTW, this is why my dedicated music reader PCs have the power plan settings but if I use it as a computer, I usually revert it back. Hence dedicated devices.

9. violajack

Yes, yes, yes to all of these things. It's such a pain trying to scan music. I've gotten better at using scanning apps on my phone, so as long as I can get the music to lay flat, I don't have to worry about how big it is.

At this point, I have an entire bookshelf of music digitized that I can carry with me at all times. Also, I use SmartMusic (windows only, hence the surface book) in my teaching a lot too, so I have access to that entire catalog on the go.

10. FenderP