Gvido dual screen e-ink reader with Wacom EMR for Sheet Music?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DRTigerlilly, May 8, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Sporting two 13.3" screens, 8GB of internal memory and a MicroSD slot, and an infrared touch switch, the device can technically display any PDF with the availability of inking.

It is rated to have several days of battery life but at $1600 is it worth it??

I'll be honest the pen caught my eye, and when I checked it out, I realized the tech was EMR.

Source: The Verge

Gvido Home Page

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope. I've already posted my thoughts elsewhere, but here are the basics again:

We're already past this. We've been using iPads since they came out and a few adventurous folks (like me! were using a TC1100 or other tablets to do this before the iPad was a thing). eInk is late to the party and has too many disadvantages vs a traditional slate in a performance context.

1. Backlighting. I don't need a stand light. That monstrosity still needs to be front lit in low light situations like a pit, outdoors past dusk, or certain poorly lit stages.

2. Annotations in color. Nothing like bright green highlighter over the repeats. I'm not missing those. And bowings in blue. Try using highligher on your orchestra owned originals, that's a good way to get fired. Greyscale eInk is right back to pencil being your only option.

3. Half page turns and vertical scrolling. I haven't played to the bottom of a page before a turn in a long time. I play 3/4 of the way down then turn the top half to the next page. If I want to use something like Xodo for better inking and faster annotation, I'll just use vertical scrolling to always keep what I'm playing near the middle. This is theoretically possible with GVIDO, but since it's not in their promotional material anywhere, I'm assuming they're stuck in the read to pages and turn paradigm. If you're a pianist, organist, or drummer and your feet are otherwise occupied, I can see having as much music as possible on screen at once being useful, but otherwise, a footpedal means you don't need two pages before you turn because there is never an interruption at the turn.

4. Storage space. I'm currently using the lowest spec surface book and it's 128GB. Even the smallest iPad is 32GB.

5. My sheet music is also a full computer....

6. Price. even if I had paid full price for my surface book, it would have cost less than this.

7. Inertia. Every actual performing musician I know (aside from one Galaxy Note Pro and me with my gadget ADD) using digital sheet music has an iPad with Forescore and has for years. Even not at all technically inclined musicians are carrying iPads.

Sorry GVIDO, you would have been relevant about 10 years ago.

kvoram, WillAdams, Starlight5 and 2 others like this.
  3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

This has come up at two gigs in the last week now, so at least they're doing a good job of creating buzz by marketing it directly as a sheet music reader.

The drummer in one group was interested. He was talking about it with the bass player, who's been on an iPad about as long as I have; he's currently on a 12.9 pro. He made the same basic points I made here - no need for two pages when you have a foot pedal, eInk doesn't light up. The drummer made the point about really needing two pages across, because on drum set, both hands and feet are occupied almost all the time. Then again, he frequently has 5 or 6 pages across two stands, so two screens may still not be enough for him. And if you have $1600 to blow, you can use two iPads in a master/slave configuration, which most pro level music readers can do. I know at least forscore on the iPad and MobileSheets on Android/Windows can do that.

Violinist in my trio asked me about it. He tried an iPad some time ago but couldn't get used to the footpedal or the software (forscore, but many years ago). He was immediately turned off when I mentioned the lack of backlighting. He thought it was basically two iPads stuck together.