[Guide] Smooth video playback on Vivo Tab

Discussion in 'Asus' started by AegixNova, Jan 22, 2013.

1. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

While trying to watch high quality 720p videos with VLC Player or Media Player Classic, I noticed frequent artifacting, slowdown, stuttering, freezing when scrubbing and skipping. It turns out that hardware acceleration wasn't being used fully, and the cpu of my tablet just couldn't keep up. I tried CCCP codecs, but there was no improvement. However, after installing the codecs below I've had no a single stutter or lag, and have even gotten some neat little features like video thumbnails and details for .mkvs when you right click and check their properties.

Codecs aren't just about compatibility! They are required for hardware acceleration, which is enormously vital for weak CPUs to play videos smoothly!

The most taxing video I've tried is a 30 minute 720p episode of anime at 650mb, and the CPU hovers at 40%. Perhaps even 1080p could be possible?
    Anyway, here's how to do it. I apologise if my guide isn't too step-by-step detailed, as I do not wish to go through the install process again, and this is all through memory. Read through all this before starting, as some things may be in the wrong order! :thumbsup:

Go to this page and download the codec pack. I chose full. Download K-Lite Codec Pack
    Download links are in text. Any buttons you see are advertisements. The first mirror will take you to a page where the correct download button is to the right and has a file size on it.
    Run the installer! Let the installer uninstall Media Player Classic if you already have it installed. As you can probably notice, this installer is very in depth and complex! It will automatically continue if MPC needs to be removed.
    Be sure to click the "help" button on the bottom left of each installation step if you're not a codec wizard! You can leave most things default.
    Probably important: When selecting hardware acceleration, chose the Intel option! The Vivo Tab's Clover Trail architecture is brilliant when it comes to this! The help button will assist you if you are unsure as to what it is! IIRC, this step this was on had only 2 dropdown boxes! Don't miss it!
    Select Media Player Classic as your default player at the end. You can manually make .wmvs and stuff use the nice Video app later.
    Be sure to read through all the optional things. Some are nice.
    Finally, install this update if you like: K-Lite Codec Pack - Update Packs
    And that's it!

Unfortunately, Media Player Classic has problems with complex subtitles that cover up huge chunks of the video, or follow objects on the screen (Like text next to a sign, for example). During this time, normal speech subtitles will get borked. This can be drastically fixed by ticking "allow animation when buffering" in MPC's options under "subtitles". You'll get much less problems. Whenever you pause the video, all problems will cease. Maybe this can be fixed by increasing the buffer to a higher amount.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

I would avoid codec packs like the plague. A very simple solution to get DXVA working in Media Player Classic is simply to tell it to use the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder instead of ffmpeg (which has issues with most Intel GPU's)

In MPC-HC, go to View -> Options and go to External Filters at the side. Click Add Filter and select 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'. Click OK and then click 'Prefer' on the right hand side. Restart MPC.

Your HD videos (all the way up to 1080p) should now all play using hardware acceleration. Nice and smooth - no messing about with codec packs. Subtitles work too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

I would not recommend this if you are aiming to play 10bit video - there is no compatibility. I tried to play back multiple 10bit videos this way on both my tablet (codecs installed) and notebook (no codecs installed) and the video would not even load. Old videos from 2006 still worked - although they were just remasters of a series that began airing way back in 1986. So when it comes to 10bit, there will be no playback.

In the case of anime I have, all 720p video encodes by UTW, Commie and Horriblesubs from early 2012 onwards are 10bit.
    This is just a consideration if you download very high quality encodes. AFAIK, not even bluray supports 10bit.

4. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

From my understanding, there is little to no support anywhere for Hardware Decoding of Hi10p. All video players FAQs/Guides tell you to turn off Hardware Decoding to play Hi10p video. The GPU in the Vivo certainly won't do it, and it's doubtful the CPU will be up to the task (at least for 1080p).

That's why it doesn't work with the above method.

5. mdeletr

mdeletr Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I have now tested several 720p and 1080 Movies in MCH. Works perfect without glitches or stuttering. Playing from Qnap NAS. Only thing is some buffering Before it starts to play. Thanks for the tip with setting in external filters in MCH. I can now play videos perfect!
    Thanks!

6. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome, THANK YOU! I've been using regular old Media PLayer with Haali, which has been driving me crazy :p

7. Vladicard

Vladicard Pen Pal - Newbie

In my opinion the Pot Player is the best way to watch HD mkv or other video files. You have not to do anything just install and watch smoothly.

8. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a say i have been very happy about the video playback. Played two 6GB full HD mp4 movies with no problems at all via HDMI out to my TV.

Only thing i have done from the default has been to update to intel drivers.

9. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

@tissot: Which player?

10. peter32

peter32 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have tried installing K-lite codec, actually some DVD grade video did improve. But only by using your method I finally managed to get silky smooth MKV full 1080p playback via the same network connection. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there anyway we can configure XBMC to use the same microsoft codec for similar effect ?