[Guide + pics] How to replace the battery, SSD, and/or regrease CPU cooler on the T300la family

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Danmanlott, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Danmanlott

Danmanlott Pen Pal - Newbie

Preface: If you screw up your tablet doing this I am not at fault, do it at your own risk, I've been screwing around with laptops for 5+ years.

On my tablet (T300la-dh51t) I was curious if the ram was upgradable (it's actually soldered on unfortunately) so I opened up the tablet. You will need a T-6 screwdriver to open the bottom, I just bought this off amazon if you don't already have a set. As a note, the bottom of the back is always last to come off/ first to go on. After you unscrew the two screws use a plastic pry tool to take off the back, alternately a plastic guitar pick or a credit card will do. I usually start from one bottom corner and work my way up and around.

Once the back is removed you are ready to go. But first a quick note, every laptop manufacturer no matter how expensive or cheap seems to put at least 3-4 times as much thermal paste as is needed (see picture), and too much is a bad thing. I would recommend if you are already going to take the cover off you re-grease the CPU. I've had to do this on my last 3 laptops and every time I see a noticeable drop in CPU temps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How to...

SSD - On on side of the white ribbon that runs across the SSD, pull the black plastic up and pull the ribbon out. Then unscrew the screw at the end and remove. The SSD uses the m.2 interface so do not buy a mSATA to replace it.

CPU - Unscrew the four screws holding the head sink on and remove carefully. Clean the heat sink and cpu with q-tips, when you have removed the excess use a slight amount of rubbing alcohol to remove the rest. Apply thermal paste by placing a small pea on the bottom square, and a thin line on the top rectangle. I would highly highly recommend that you screw the heat sink back on and remove it to make sure that it spread correctly, you want to have it cover almost all the black area and not run off.

Battery - Unscrew the screws holding it in place, and then pull back the wedge on top, then unhook the wire.

[​IMG]

When you are ready to put it back on remember to put the bottom on first and glide your fingers around to the top.

2. inri13666

inri13666 Pen Pal - Newbie

Please tell me Is it possible to upgrade memory from 4gb to 8gb? and please show me where the RAM module was placed ))) thx

The ssd I found by model "256GB SSD Solid State Drive mSATA SanDisk SD6SN1M-256G-1006 725341-001" to upgrade from 128 => 256

3. Danmanlott

Danmanlott Pen Pal - Newbie

"I was curious if the ram was upgradable (it's actually soldered on unfortunately)"

That should work

4. Booyahzman

Booyahzman Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking at picking up a T300, but want to upgrade the SSD to something bigger. Anyone have specific links to acceptable replacement SSDs? (Help take some of the guess work out of it).

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

5. Booyahzman

Booyahzman Pen Pal - Newbie

Another question: what was used to reinstall or setup the new HDD with the OS and configuration? Did you use an adapter to plug the HDDs into a second computer and make a copy of one drive to the other? Or is there a reinstall disc/flash drive used?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

6. William Pabst

William Pabst Pen Pal - Newbie

Since there are several different size M.2 factors, what is the size of the SSD for this laptop/notebook?

7. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie