[GUIDE] Installing Windows 8.1 on your TF810C

Discussion in 'Asus' started by AegixNova, Jun 30, 2013.

1. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

Weird! I can't even check why the account was terminated...
    Anyhow, I reuploaded everything to Mediafire, so check my first post again!
    I also added more information on touchpad and Skydrive issues.

2. schwarz86

schwarz86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does any of you already want to give a short report of her/his experiences after the update to Windows 8.1 Blue (e.g. battery, crashes, usability, storage capacity,....).

3. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

Purely from my very own personal and highly subjective point of view I have been quite impressed with the way that 8.1 installed flawlessly and has run ever since. I seem to have no issues waking from sleep and no crashes. The only issue is the haphazard way the battery icon sometimes is present and sometimes is not. Infact that was my only crash when I ran out of juice without a battery icon! Oh, and the camera does not work (but I don't use it).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. cottinghamm

cottinghamm Pen Pal - Newbie

I like it, the keyboard is better, home Screen much better and performance seems just the same, good.

The battery thing is annoying, try not reboot too often and get the icon loaded with the scan for hardware changes trick and all should be good.

I still think that the built in apps are a bit lame, especially email. I use the Browser a lot as it supports the on screen keyboard much better; I still prefer Chrome when I've got the device docked.

It hasn't crashed at all (since I installed the Asus drivers from this discussion), I gained a bit of storage back after the install (no idea why) and every app I have installed works just as it did before.

5. AegixNova

I installed the Windows 8.1 RTM leak and it's wonderful :D
    -No battery indicators disappearing
    -Absolutely no funny business in the installation. I just had to install the driver pack and Wacom's drivers, and was ready to go.
    -When booting, the tablet becomes responsive INSTANTLY!! In Windows 8 and 8.1 preview, it would hang at the start screen for about 30 seconds, but now it's ready to go immediately! YEESSSSS!
    -Skydrive works perfectly now! The progress bar when downloading actually updates, too! And there are nice indicators on what's actually downloaded or not
    -The mail app is looking good!
    -Searching is now waaaaaaay more responsive!

Overall, I highly, highly recommend it! I'm as pleased as punch. This is the complete and final build of Windows 8.1, after all! Smoother and more stable than Windows 8.

All you need to do is acquire the leaked build 9600 .iso, mount it, and run setup. If you're currently running Windows 8.1 preview and didn't extract your key from Windows 8 before updating, you'll need to reset your tablet back to default, then install 8.1 RTM.

6. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, full marks for bravery!
    Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Are the drivers not already in the rtm package or did you notice something not working in rtm but that then it worked after installing the driver package?

7. AegixNova

I had no choice but to do a clean install, since I was running 8.1 preview and upgrade was not available.
    Only some of the drivers are available in the RTM package, but the ones missing are pretty critical for general usability. I had wifi, touch and sound upon installing RTM, but the video drivers were missing. The side effect of that was that things were very, very laggy - I definitely knew that something wasn't working.
    I installed the driver package right away and all was good.