[GUIDE] Installing Windows 8.1 on your TF810C

Discussion in 'Asus' started by AegixNova, Jun 30, 2013.

1. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

Heya all,
    I got 8.1 working on my TF810C, and it surprisingly wasn't that hard considering that it's meant to be completely incompatible.
    1. Download the .iso here: Windows 8.1 Preview ISO files - Microsoft Windows
    2. Open the .iso, then run the setup. No need to make a bootable USB or something, thanks to Windows 8 being able to mount .isos natively.
    3. Go through the installation process. Do NOT check for updates. When asked for a key, use the one on Microsoft's website.
    4. Pick whichever installation you like. I kept all my apps and everything, and it all seems to work. Even desktop apps work well.
    5. Installation is SLOW. Your tablet will restart.
    6. After booting, you'll eventually get to a black screen. I could move the mouse cursor, but nothing else would work. Hold down your power button and boot again. It will be very slow as it checks for devices and such.
    7. This time, after booting, you'll get all the way to choosing your wifi network to connect to, and perhaps login (I can't remember). I couldn't find the network I was already connected to, for some reason. After going to the next step, you'll get a black screen again. Hold down your power button and boot again. It will check for devices again.
    8. You'll be able to fully boot into Windows 8. It will be VERY laggy. This is because the graphics drivers are missing.

Installing drivers, fixing the massive lag
    Option A: Install all your drivers: http://www.mediafire.com/?w7bfuedwqg7326a
    What I linked above is an extraction of the temporary files that are made when running LiveUpdate. I couldn't get the driver download from ASUS's site to work, unfortunately.
    Option B: Open Device Manager, go to your display adapter, search online for updates of it through the properties panel.
    Option C: Update through Windows Update

I've noticed that options B and C may lead to your tablet sometimes being unable to wake up from sleep. The power button must be held and a restart done.

Getting your battery icon back
    There's no way to tell what your battery % is. The system doesn't have a clue, no matter where you look. This can thankfully be fixed.
    Temporary fix: Go to Device Manager. Go to Batteries. Uninstall the driver listed there. Now, through Device Manager's menu options, search for missing hardware/updates. Whichever the option it is. All battery icons should be back right away. This sadly resets once you reboot your tablet.
    Permanent fix: Download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?4h39bnacax5me41
    Follow the readme carefully!! What this does is create a scheduled task that rescans your hardware every time you boot. Unfortunately, I couldn't get this working. So what I did instead was put all the files at C:\BatteryIcon. Then I followed instructions to create the task manually. Schedule a task
    You want a task that runs whenever you logon (not system start!!), and runs the BatteryIcon.bat file. I edited the BatteryIcon.bat properties to give my user full permissions when running it, just to be sure.

Misc stuff
    -Run Disk Cleanup to delete your ~15GB+ windows.old folder. For some reason Disk Cleanup can't be searched for, so find it in Control Panel
    -Get used to the new shortcut windows+S. This opens the new search. It's AWESOME! :D
    -For some reason two finger scrolling works in the other direction, now. The double-finger tap for right click, and edge-swiping still works unchanged, though.
    -Finger scrolling is no longer super smooth. Windows 8.1 thinks that it's a mouse wheel, and so scrolls in chunks. I haven't really attempted a fix yet.
    -During the driver installation phase, my tablet could not shut down. I had to hold down the power button. This fixed itself up once everything was installed, though.
    -I had to update my Wacom drivers from the US Wacom website, too in order to get them fully functional. Select Tablet PC and Windows 8. There were no problems.
    -I can no longer use the registry edit to give me 4 rows of tiles instead of 3. No matter, small sized tiles would be too tiny anyway.
    -Beware of Skydrive. There is no longer a desktop app. It's all run through the OS itself, which is GREAT!! Sadly, it's a bit buggy. On my notebook with Windows 8.1, it's constantly bogged down with items "pending" to be downloaded. Now syncing is VERY dodgy for me on that computer. I believe it happened because I tried to sync about 250 wallpapers at once through the Personalisation menu. It didn't like that. And now it's completely borked. No problems with my tablet, though.
    -UPDATE to Skydrive issue: It's still a bit unstable, and doesn't show upload or download progress any where. If you try to download 2 files at once you may get failures. If you install Office 2013, prepare for trouble, as this installs ANOTHER Skydrive program that conflicts. Uninstall Skydrive from the control panel to attempt to fix this.
    -The camera doesn't work until you refresh and rescan in Device Manager. Unfortunately, it doesn't stay working for more than a few minutes once you stop using it.

General smoothness and stability after doing these is about the same as standard Windows 8. It's a bit sluggish at times when searching, though. It seems to boot faster, however. Anyhow, I LOVE Windows 8.1 :D

Give the preview a try if you're brave enough!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. glen8

glen8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Pleased my little battery program worked :)

Let me know if you had any issues with it. It works great on mine (shows up after every reboot) and never get any window alerts. If you do have issues let me know and I'll fix.

If you did it manually, make sure the scheduled task is set to 'run with highest priveledges'

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for taking the pains to go through this detailed guide. But IMHO, its not worth the pains just to install a preview of an update that'll still be released in a couple of months. I think I'll wait till the final version or at least till MS and Intel releases the fw update that will allow for smooth experience.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

4. cottinghamm

cottinghamm Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had no issues installing but have had since, the battery indicator is a real issue because the battery life now seems to be so bad, having to charge a lot more. My dock is also losing its charge when not in use, don't think I can blame Win8.1 for that, but it isn't helpful.

I am getting a lot of lock ups where the screen is black, the Windows button seems to be active but I have to completely reset the device, very annoying.

It hangs almost every time I leave it docked and let the screen go off for more than 5 minutes.

Cameras not working, not a drama

I like the feel of Win8.1 more, happy to stick with it if the battery life can be improved over time.

5. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

This occurs if you use the Intel display drivers from Windows Update, rather than ASUS' ones.
    You can download these drivers from ASUS' website, or from my first post.
    For me, downloading the drivers directly from ASUS' website didn't work and they wouldn't install. I had to use the drivers I previously extracted from Live Update. Those are the ones I've linked.

I'm not sure about your battery problems. Maybe when it's locked up with the black screen it's still processing stuff, and thus quickly draining battery? It's hard to tell since the tablet is completely silent.

Anyhow, good luck with getting it to work! I'm looking forward to the RTM version of Windows 8.1!

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes the battery icon and camera drivers keep getting lost and the battery goes real fast now with 8.1

7. nessers

nessers Pen Pal - Newbie

I heard that 8.1 removed the whole concept of the Metro UI.

If that is true, I have a question about that. Currently [Win 8] the only PDF reader which allows reasonable inking is the one which comes with the Windows. Anything which was desktop based had a really bad response time and was practically unusable.

Is the PDF reader still available, and is the inking still reasonable? If not, is there any reasonable alternative?

8. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't seen any change in battery life, myself. Every so often I do have to scan for hardware changes to get the battery icon back.

sent from Samsung Epic Touch,Jellyverse rom

9. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

Metro is still there, all the apps should be more or less the same.

sent from Samsung Epic Touch,Jellyverse rom

10. cottinghamm

cottinghamm Pen Pal - Newbie

I wasn't able to download from your link, seems Mega have stopped your account.

Any other locations for the file, I still only have the dodgy Intel driver?

Thanks