Guide for installing Windows 8 TP on Series 7 Slate

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by im140.2, Nov 9, 2011.

1. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

All, below is a paste from the guide document for installing Windows 8 Technical Preview on the Series 7 Slate. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is not offically supported. Not fully tested. This is intended for developers who need a developerment platform for Windows 8 Metro applications. The BIOS file is too large to attach so you will need to skip that step. Follow these steps and you should have no bangs in Device manager and everything should work as designed.

Installing Windows 8 Technical Preview on the Samsung Series 7 Slate

The below instructions will step you through the process of configuring and installing Windows 8 Technical Preview on a Series 7 for use as a development platform.

DISCLAIMER:

Installing Windows 8 pre released software is not officially supported by Samsung Corporation or Microsoft and doing so is at your own risk and may void your warranty. Do not contact Samsung Support for questions or assistance with Windows 8 or problems caused by installing pre-released software on the Series 7 Slate.

The Windows 8 Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. This is prereleased software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Note: You can't uninstall the Windows 8 Developer Preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media.

Tips: Only perform the following steps with the system on AC power. The use of a USB keyboard is required.

STEP #1
    Backup your data Backup and personal data on your Series 7. The following steps will delete all user data.

STEP #2
    Update BIOS
    (this step is optional – unsupported developer BIOS will resolve hardware button incorrect mapping when Windows 8 is installed.) Use at your own risk.
    Download and install the non-supported developer preview BIOS for the Series 7 Slate. This BIOS is unsupported and not available from Samsung (do not contact Samsung regarding this BIOS.) Use at your own risk. Download the BIOS file here: <TBD>. The BIOS must be installed from a bootable USB/CD. Copy the files from the ZIP file on to a bootable USB key or DVD. Boot to the USB key (press HOME/Windows button on the bezel immediately after pressing the power button (from an “off” state.)

From the DOS prompt run the following command:
    amiflash FW02M072.rom /n

STEP #3
    Configure BIOS (not dependant on Step#2... do this even if you don't update the BIOS.)
    Enter BIOS setup: Power off the PC. Power the system back on and press the “HOME” hardware key on the bezel. Select “ENTER SETUP” (note: if you do not have a USB keyboard attached you can use the VOL+/VOL- keys to select, Rotation Lock button as “enter”, and both vol buttons at the same time to go back.)

Select ADVANCED
    Change “Allow UEFI boot” to YES
    Save settings and exit.

STEP #4
    Download Windows 8 Technical Preview Build Download the Windows 8 Technical Preview ISO from MSDN: Windows Metro Style Apps Developer Downloads
    Select “Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)”
    This image includes:
    • 64-bit Windows 8 Developer Preview
    • Windows SDK for Metro style apps
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows 8 Developer Preview
    • Microsoft Expression Blend 5 Developer Preview
    • 28 Metro style apps including the BUILD Conference app
    Create a bootable USB key with the downloaded ISO image (or burn to a DVD if you have an external USB DVD drive you can use for the installation process.)

STEP #5
    Install Windows 8 Technical Preview Boot to your newly created USB key or DVD. Shut down/power off the PC. Power the system back on with the power button and then quickly press the “HOME” hardware key on the lower bezel. Use the VOL+/VOL- keys to select your USB key or attached USB DVD drive which contains the Windows 8 installation files.

Follow the prompts to install Windows 8 Technical Preview on your system.

STEP #6
    Windows Update Once Windows 8 install has successfully completed the next step is to check for updates to Windows and drivers. Connect your system to the internet via your wireless network or a wired LAN using the option Series 7 dock. Navigate to Windows Update: Start -> Search -> Select “SETTINGS” -> Type “Windows Update”. Select “Check for Updates

Download and install all updates. (note: You may need to restart your system after updates install)

STEP #7
    Additional Drivers Some drivers for the Series 7 are not currently available on Windows Update. Use Samsung’s Easy Software Manager utility to install any missing drivers and system software. The utility is available on the Series 7 support page on Samsung.com:
    • Samsung

You will need to run the installer in “Windows 7 application compatibility” mode. Configure this by right clicking on the icon and selecting properties. Select the “Compatibility” tab and check the box “Run this program in compatibility more for” and select “Windows 7”.

Run the Easy Software Manager application once installation has completed (note: you will need to run the application in Win7 app compat mode.) This tool will allow you to install all essential drivers for the system. Some users have reported that the application seems to act as it has stopped responding.. be patient.. The application is downloading the required files. This performance issue seem to be related to running the app on Windows 8.. but it will work if you give it some time.

Select Essential Software -> Drivers - > All and click Install Now

STEP #8
    Start developing great applications for Windows 8. Learn more about Windows 8 development opportunities:
    • Metro style app development
    • Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Known Issues/Limitations
    • Home Key/Windows Key – The “Home” hardware button on the bezel does not bring up the Windows Start menu. (developer BIOS resolves this issue)
    • Rotation Lock key – The rotation lock key does not change the rotation lock status. Rotation lock can manually be enabled/disabled via neway control panel. (developer BiOS resolves this issue.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Awesome im, thanks! Any way to get the developer BIOS? Also, seems that Samsung's download site is down currently, I can't download any of the software or drivers, I was getting ready to try this out.

3. gerardov

gerardov Pen Pal - Newbie

I downloaded the firmware from the Samsung site, when I ran it, it downloaded a new firmware version which I installed and, well in Win 8 it seems to enable those buttons... so I guess it no longer is in beta and is in the Samsung site under firmware... Note I installed it from within Win 8.

What I cant make work is the automatic rotation, even with the driver from the Samsung site. Also, tap and hold (right click) with touch is extremely spotty, not sure why. Mouse and pen work fine and in Win 7 itwasno problem.

4. plnguyen

plnguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm that after installing the firmware... the Windows button does work now.
    Does that button only have 1 function? Single click, double click, and click+hold does the same thing. It just switches between Metro and the last app you used.

5. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

did you do the following:
    1)install the accelometer driver using Samsung Easy Software Manager?(do not manually install it)
    2)push the rotation lock button (below the power button)

You can also manually enable automatic rotation in the Display properties settings.

6. Aussiehoudini

Aussiehoudini Pen Pal - Newbie

I got the Slate on Friday and after about 10 minutes with Win7 installed Windows 8 :)
    But now a day later I'm going back to 7 (and so far it's taken 3 hours and probably won't be finished for another 2!).
    The issues were:
    1. hardware button didn't work
    2. Fan ran all the time
    3. screen rotate wouldn't work
    4. lost all the neat Samsung gestures stuff like 4 finger kayboard launch
    All these have been discussed but I couldn't find the firmware driver anywhere so couldn't try that fix.
    A Win 7 bloatware free install is going to be good enough for now I think.

7. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Five hours to install Windows 7? My clean Windows 7 Ultimate install took like 20 minutes.

8. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

so, I put Win 8 on my slate last night..... so far. the experience is just 'ok'. :)
    Anyone know why the fan runs all the time?

9. loque

loque Pen Pal - Newbie

This is Windows 8. :) It takes awhile to complete the house cleaning and setup, after the install is complete! Just plug it in and let it do it's thing. It might take up to 30 minutes so be patient.

Cheers!

10. NSCE

NSCE Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an FYI - you can easily install both OS's so you don't have to choose one over the other. It's very quick and easy - just make a new partition from some of the free space on your SSD. Here's a step-by-step guide at lifehacker. Just do step one, then come back to this thread to install it (on the newly created partition). Whenever you start your computer you'll be asked which OS you want to use.

I have the 64GB slate and fit both win7 and win8 on it. I installed office 2007 (don't have 2010) and removed the office 2010 trial. Then I created a 20GB drive for win8 and I still have 10GB free. If I get tired of win8, I only need to wipe the partition. You 128GB users will have a lot more extra space.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015