Guide: Enabling Wintab Compatibility on Synaptics Penabled Devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 19, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

The following guide shows you how to install a simple driver to enable Wintab digitizer compatibility in all Synaptics-based devices. Simply download and install the driver linked below on your Synaptics penabled laptop, 2-in-1 or tablet and indulge in the newfound compatibility. There also is a list of devices which have been confirmed to work by other users using this method. This is a working list but as more forum members install the drivers and verify compatibility, more devices will be added. Feel free to also use this thread as a place for discussion for any unforeseen bugs and in guiding other users through the process.

On a personal note, I had thought for the longest time that traditional digitizer support would be out of reach for many legacy and desktop programs including older versions of Adobe Creative Suite, Chasys Draw and the Autodesk Suite. By coincidence, I stumbled on a post on the Surface Pro Artist website which purported, "Surprisingly, if you install the Surface Pro 3 n-trig Wintab driver, it provides the bridge needed from Synaptics pen to older Wintab programs like Zbrush 4R7. Not necessarily a supported configuration, but it seems to work quite well, especially when paired with the latest Dell synaptics stylus (750-AAGN)."

In an instant, my curiosity was piqued upon making this discovery. Could I actually repeat this technique on my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140, which also has a Synaptics digitizer? Much to my satisfaction, I swiftly downloaded the Surface Pro 3 N-Trig Wintab driver and it indeed worked just as reported. And the rest is history. My hope is you will find as much utility out of this technique as I have in using your favorite creation and production applications with the ease of use that an active pen provides.

64-bit Driver:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-8059-E54C91C564A9/Wintab-1.0.0.20-64-bit.zip

32-bit Driver:
    https://download.microsoft.com/down...F4A-8059-E54C91C564A9/Wintab_x32_1.0.0.20.zip
    (If this newer version does not work, try using the 1.0.0.17 version a few posts below.)

Confirmed Working Devices:

Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 - confirmed by sonichedgehog360
    HP Spectre X360 - confirmed by Avee, verified by Prophacy and LEXXIUS

Incompatible Devices:
    None yet... (Yay!)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. lonk

lonk Pen Pal - Newbie

doesnt work with Dell Venue 8 pro, probably due to 32bit OS

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look for a 32-bit driver. In the meantime, I will mark it as incompatible.

4. sonichedgehog360

So I have some bad news and some good news. The good news is there is a 32-bit installer in existence for the WinTab driver, which can be seen in the cached record of N-Trig's website. The bad news is the driver itself is not in the cache and since the Microsoft acquisition that took place, the N-Trig site is also incognito and retired.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20141112192036/http://www.n-trig.com/Content.aspx?Page=wintab

So if someone happens to have this file...
    http://www.n-trig.com/Data/Uploads/Misc/WinTab_Setup_x32_1.0.0.17.exe
    ...in their possession or tracks it down since Google is drawing a blank for me, you will be a hero to many 32-bit users here. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  5. sonichedgehog360

Actually, I spoke a bit prematurely. I finally found a working download link in the Archive.org Wayback Machine cache. Just in case that ever goes into oblivion, I have a local copy of the file. I am updating the thread description with the new download link as we speak. Here's the link for those who want it now. Since I do not have a 32-bit device handy, please let us know how it fares for you:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2015031...nt/uploads/2014/10/Wintab-1.0.0.17-32-bit.zip

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Avee

Avee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for finding this out.
    I have the HP Spectre X360 with Synaptics digitizer, and after installing the 64 bit wintab driver from ntrig, I can use pressure sensitivity with Gimp 2.9 by Partha. I did have to activate the stylus as an ntrig stylus in Gimp settings. My operating system is Win 10 Pro, I have the FHD touchscreen version of the X360.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. Veterinary Student

Veterinary Student Pen Pal - Newbie

Idk if this is the right thread to ask, but I have the Acer Aspire R7-371t, and I just want to be able to use the Surface Pro 4 pen to take notes. I don't want to get another Acer Active Stylus -- I'm not fond of the structural design (prone to death) and it eats batteries). I tried installing the wintabx32 driver but it keeps telling me I need to uninstall a newer version? I'm having difficulty finding where that driver is so I can uninstall it.

8. sonichedgehog360

Hi there, Veterinary Student! This is not the right thread, but I hope to help you well with your issue here.

As to getting the newest drivers installed on your N-Trig digitizer equipped Acer R7, you will want to look under Add or Remove Programs. You can get there by either searching for it in your Windows 8.1 or 10 desktop search bar or by opening Control Panel. Once there, look for an installed program containing the term "Wintab", either "Microsoft Wintab x64" or "Microsoft Wintab x86." Once you find it, select it and uninstall it.

9. dell active stylus

dell active stylus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me, I have a Dell active stylus that I cant setup with a HP spectre x360, no response at all. I have downloaded the above driver and tried lots of internet searches to find a solution but to no avail. I have been told by my tech support that it is incompatible, but have also read online that it can connect and work. Any hints or have I just bought a dead dud?

10. sonichedgehog360

There are a few different kinds of Dell Active Styli so this can become a tricky game of Russian roulette. The one you want is the Synaptic version, not the Wacom AES ones. This is one of the Synaptic ones that Dell has made and it should work without issues. Any other one and you might have a Wacom stylus on your hands that is completely incompatible with your device.