Grimnir's Exhaustive T5010 Review

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Grimnir, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenjin

Tenjin Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the thread you are talking about called "Vista and Your Fujitsu Tablet"? i tried to read some part of it but its 10 pages long, and it started while vista just was released... so it is hard to get tips from all that talk...

To bad we can't customize and create profiles of the keys in tablet mode for each program, that would have been awesome. I guess ill have to get a bluetooth mini keyboard or something like this...

Oh by the way, ive heard the Wprime score of the t5010 was 67 seconds, well i ran it yesterday and my score is 27 seconds! Thats a beast! this cpu is crazy powerful thats very nice. Do you think putting an SD card for readyboost is of any use?
    Thanks

2. baseliner

baseliner Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks - I'm in the market for a tablet PC. I'm a researcher that needs a high performance CPU for running some intensive math optimization programs and would use the tablet feature for marking up docs and doing some mathematical writing. I'm debating between the T5010 and the Toshiba M750. I like the M750's P9500 2.53 GHz processor option for its lower wattage, and the fact that I can choose a 64-bit option to make use of higher RAM (it looks like with T5010, I'll need to spend addnl $ to get a 64-bit Vista OS separately). The T5010 sounds solid too based on the review here (thanks for that!) and I like the larger 13.3" screen.. but the cost differential between the T5010 and M750 is considerable (about $400 for similar configs)... wondering if anyone can shed light on the following:

1. How does the T5010 compare with the M750 in terms of reliability? (or if no data on this, then more generally, how do Fujitsu tablets compare with Toshiba tablets in terms of reliability?).
    2. I've had a Fujitsu laptop (not a tablet) a long time ago and it worked (still works - gave it off to my parents) great and their service also seemed good. How does Toshiba compare with Fujitsu as a computer maker?

Thanks much!

3. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

The processor choice on the T5010 is really up to you. I does accept the 2.6 GHz processor. Be careful, if you customize the system, you cannot return it.

Toshiba is obviously a larger supplier of laptops than Fujitsu, which really explores some specific niches. Thus, my guess is that Toshiba would have more support options than Fujitsu. The 13.3'' screen does make a difference (at least for me), in the usability of the T5010 as a general laptop, but it downgrades its utility as a tablet because it makes the laptop heavier and more difficult to hold. The T5010 is really speedy, even with the basic specs.

4. baseliner

baseliner Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't planning on upgrading the CPU myself (while I've upgraded RAM and hard drives on laptops, the processor might be too much for me :)).. and the P9500 is not an option on Fujitsu's website.

Thanks for this info.. reason I asked was I saw some posts on this forum that Toshiba customer service isn't that great in the US.. I also like the 13.3" screen on my MacBook (and my old Fujitsu and Thinkpad laptops) when compared with the 12.1".. that's what makes this decision harder for me..

5. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

Sorry for my late reply! The thread I was referring to is HERE.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Supersonic

Supersonic Scribbler - Standard Member

Just a note to say thanks for your excellent review. I now have a T5010 2.2GHz/160 Gb HDD /2Gb RAM version (will upgrade if necessary later). Am just going though all the install tasks at the moment (Firefox,WinAmp etc.). I've found it to be a great machine so far -no regrets !

7. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, this is good. By the way, do not bother to upgrade, really. Although I have a 2.65 GHz processor, I do not think that this makes much of a difference and the 160 GB drive is fine. If you want an additional drive, you can certainly get one for the internal bay or attach an external one. I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go and it is a great solution for additional storage. Windows 7 will actually run faster than Vista on the same hardware, so, I think that you are set for the next 3-4 years in terms of upgrades!!

8. Supersonic

The only thing I'd like to change is to be able to set the portrait screen such that the scroll sensor is on the left when I go to tablet mode. By that, I mean I'd like it to default to it (I think its called 'secondary portrait'). Other than that, it's a great machine.

9. frog

frog Scribbler - Standard Member

You can do that easily - set it to the desired orientation, then open up the Fujitsu Tablet Controls (either from the Fujitsu Menu utility of from Control Panel), then click the save profile button - it will then default to that orientation whenever you go into tablet mode.

10. Supersonic

Cheers frog! That's sorted that out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.