Grimnir's Exhaustive T5010 Review

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Grimnir, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

My overall impression of the Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 is a positive one. The only previous experience I have with Tablet PCs is with Gateway. I owned a Gateway C-141XL/C-142XL and to make a long story short both were returned. I waited patiently for Centrino 2 to come out and then pulled the trigger on the Fujitsu LifeBook T5010 (from here on out I will only refer to it as a T5010). I use my Tablet PC mostly for Graphic Design and occasionally for gaming on the go.

The specs of my T5010 are as follows:

• Processor:
      Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 Ghz; 6 MB L2 cache, 1066 Mhz FSB
      (This is an upgrade from the preconfigured T8400 (2.26 Ghz) and T8600 (2.4Ghz) processors available, both with 3 MB L2 cache and 1066Mhz FSB)

• RAM:
      4 GB (upgraded from 1 Gb, single stick)

• Hard Disk Drive:
      320 Gb 7200 (upgraded from 80 Gb 5400)

• Wireless: Atheros XSPAN AGN
    • Optical Drive
    • Modular Bay Battery (replaces the Optical Drive when installed)
    • Operating System: Windows Vista Business 32 Bit

• 2 Gb Extreme 3 SanDisk SD card for Windows ReadyBoost.

• Stock Indoor/Outdoor screen protectors (for now :( )

• Performance:
    Do not let the T5010’s small stature fool you. This little guy is a BEAST! It outperforms my Desktop (Pentium D 3.01 Ghz, 4Gb of RAM) easily. I’ve nearly stopped using the thing because of it.
    Startup time is quick. It takes on average 1 minute 6 seconds to start up completely (although I did do some tweaking to do this). Shutdown speed is just as quick, although sometimes it can hang for a few minutes. This occasionally occurs when attempting to put the computer to sleep, as well. I can’t be sure if this is a user setting or if it is the computer but I suspect the former versus the latter. The T5010 is fast, it will open Adobe Photoshop CS3 in ~4 to 5 seconds; Adobe Illustrator CS3 in ~6 to 8 seconds; Microsoft Word in ~3 seconds, and Corel Painter 10 ~3 to 5 seconds.

• Heat and Fan Noise:
    The T5010 is fast, but not with the compromise of excess heat or a loud fan. I apologize for not being able to provide temperature numbers but I can reassure you that the processor does not get extremely hot, even while stressing it. The processor lies underneath of the left palm rest. It will get warm, but not warm enough to make my palm sweat or feel uncomfortable.
    When I first got the T5010 I immediately noticed how quiet it is. The fan is quiet, no; that is an understatement! It is hardly noticeable. It may make its presence known when you start the computer initially but it is not loud enough to hear if you are not directly in front of the computer and lasts barely two seconds (this will not be a problem if you have your computer in sleep mode before entering class. There is no fan noise upon resuming windows). Even this is only noticeable in a very quiet room. While stressing the computer the fan runs steadily but unnoticeably. The only time I have heard the fan really working is when I have the computer on a non-flat surface like a blanket or carpeting. This is due to poor air circulation and was my doing. Even then the T5010 is much, much, much quieter than any other laptop (with fans) I have come across.
    The bottom of the screen does not get hot either. With the Gateway C-141/142XL I could barely stand to rest my hand on the screen because it got so hot. I do not notice the temperature of the screen when I draw/write on the T5010.

• Bloatware and pre-installed Fujitsu programs:
    I’m very pleased to say that the T5010 does not come with a lot of bloatware. The only crap I noticed was Norton,Picasa2, GoogleDesktop and Google toolbar (Which I just noticed because I put the factory direct hdd back in for a moment...I'll update my processes list.) The T5010 comes with a few programs which I will list here. It is up to you what you want to keep enabled and if you want to consider it bloatware or not. I will give you the program names as they appear in the startup list. This is also the way they will appear in the processes tab of Task Manager. Anything highlighted in yellow in the following screen shot are items Fujitsu put on the machine.

[​IMG]

-Fujitsu Menu—It is meant to be helpful, but for people who are computer literate this program will just be a waste of memory and HDD space. It appears in the startup list as FjStrtAp.exe

[​IMG]

-Fujitsu Shock Sensor Utility—This program will detect if your computer is falling and suspend the heads of your hard disk drive. Theoretically it will reduce the damage a hard drive sustains during a fall. It appears in the startup list as FJSSDMN.exe See below for a screen shot of the Fujitsu Shock Sensor Utility (I tapped the computer lightly to show it detecting impact).You can set how sensitive the Shock Sensor is to impact in order for it to remove the heads from the hard drive.

[​IMG]

-Fujitsu Driver Update—A somewhat handy little tool that will check for new and updated drivers directly with Fujitsu. I have it disabled; I have never noticed it checking automatically for updates and has no feature to schedule when it checks for them. An annoying tidbit is whenever you do start the program to check for updates it automatically adds itself back into your startup list. It appears as updatenv.exe on the startup list.

-Fuj02E3—This program appears on the startup list. I’ve left it alone. The Readme File found within the directory containing the .exe states the following:

“===============================================================
    General information
    ===============================================================
    The Fujitsu System Extension Utility is software that supports
    system extension functions for the Fujitsu Lifebook Series notebooks.”

-Fujitsu Hotkey Utility—This program generates on screen feedback when you press a function key. See below for a screen shot. This program appears in the startup list as IndicatorUty.exe. According to the readme file found within the Hotkey Utility’s directory:

“===============================================================
    Summary of Hotkey Utility
    ===============================================================

The Hotkey utility provides on-screen indicators for hot keys
    (Fn+F3, F4, F6, F7, F8, F9*) and LCD backlight brightness control.

* Applicable hot key functions depend on your model or BIOS
    settings.”

[​IMG]

-Bluetooth Manager—This program is licensed from Toshiba. It is a handy little bluetooth connection manager. It is incredibly easy to use and allows you to disable the bluetooth radio when you are not using it to save on battery life by right clicking the icon in the taskbar or selecting options from the programs user interface. It appears in the startup list as TosBtMng.exe. See Screenshot below for the user interface.

[​IMG]

-ItSecMng—This program is licensed from Toshiba. It is the Security Manager for the Bluetooth Stack. It appears in the startup list as ItSecMng.exe. See the following screenshot for its functionality according to the Bluetooth User Guide found in the directory for ItSecMng.exe.

[​IMG]

-SynTpEnh—This is the Synaptics Touch Pad driver. It enables the functionality of your touch pad mouse. It appears in the startup list as SynTpEnh.exe

• Gaming:
    I am not a big gamer, but recently a friend convinced me to start playing World of Warcraft with her. The T5010 runs World of Warcraft without a problem. Personally I have the settings down (and that is because I don’t really care for the appearance of the game anyhow). The T5010 can run WoW at full speed no problems. See the screenshots below for more information. I have noticed that you cannot Alt+Tab out of WoW or it will not come back up. I have to force end the program.
    [​IMG] WoW frame rate on Low Settings as seen below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]WoW frame rate on High Settings.
    When I began to run around on high settings the frame rate went up to 55fps.

• Screen & Resolution:
    The T5010’s screen is gorgeous. It is a 13.3” WXGA (1280 x 800 pixels) display with an active digitizer. There is not even a hint of graininess. Since the back lighting is LED edge lit there is no inconsistency, it is nice and evenly bright. I mentioned this earlier, but also due to the fact that it is LED lit the screen bezel does not get hot. LED lighting is also more environmentally friendly than a mercury vapor lamp.
    Viewing angles are fantastic! I’ve never seen anything like it. No matter how I hold or turn the screen no part of it becomes inverted.
    I was very surprised by the screen protectors included with the T5010. They are the kind that have adhesive around the edges and are not properly fitted for the screen. There is about .25” on the left and the right where the screen protector does not reach. Also air bubbles get under them and generally make things look ugly. I am not at all satisfied with them and plan on replacing them, and soon!

• Screen Orientation:
    I was astonished to find that the T5010 did not support all screen orientations. You can rotate your display from primary landscape to primary portrait to secondary portrait back to primary landscape; but NOT to secondary landscape. This is SO annoying! This means you have to set the computer in tablet mode then physically turn the entire computer towards you so the screen is not upside down. When you have things plugged in it is a nuisance. I hardly use the computer in portrait mode since I draw most of the time in landscape mode. I have to turn the back of the computer towards me in order to view the screen right side up. This aims the indicator LED’s away from me and I cannot readily see them.
    This is due to the Intel GMAx4500; the driver does not support a 360 degree screen rotation. I e-mailed Intel about it to see if it was them or if Fujitsu somehow changed the driver to lock out secondary landscape.

• Hinge & Latch:
    The hinge of the T5010 is bidirectional and allows you to rotate the screen to the left, or to the right. However once you rotate the screen from the left to the right, to return it to the original orientation you need to rotate it from the right to the left. In other words you cannot complete a full 360 degree rotation.
    The build of the hinge is impressive. It is very sturdy and gives good resistance when being turned. The screen does not wobble when I type (unless I really TRY to make it wobble.)
    The latch is interesting and surprisingly simple. It is a flat piece of plastic in the shape of a squat L. It rotates on a pivot in the center of the 90 degree angle of the “L”. This means you need to manually set the latch. It also does not click when you close it but it holds the screen firmly (I liked the click on the C-141/142XL TPC, it gave me reassurance that the lid was closed tight). See the following pictures for an explanation. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Inking experience & The Stock Tablet Pen:
    Inking is very pleasant on this machine. I use it in tablet mode every day for a few hours. The stock screen protector does not simulate paper well; it feels like you are writing on glass. This is a problem easily solved however with a different screen protector (the ClearTouch by Boxwave felt great! I really wish it would fit my T5010).
    The active digitizer is very accurate. I like that there is an eraser on the Pen and a rocker button. I have one button configured for left click and the other end of the rocker set for Ctrl+Z (an artist’s best friend!). It feels nice in my hands, not like a cheap piece of plastic.
    The downside to the Pen is that the Silo to store it is awkward. There is no satisfying click when you insert it and there is no fun little button to press that will automatically eject it for you. You need to pull it out yourself. Additionally you can only insert the pen a certain way to ensure the rocker button fits properly, therefore you need to remove the pen the same way all else it gets stuck. This is good because it ensures your pen doesn’t just fall out. It is bad because well…it is annoying.
    Overall I really like to write and draw on this machine; a lot. Did I mention that I really enjoy it?

See below for a picture of the Stock Pen for the T5010
    [​IMG]
    • Keyboard:
    The keyboard is not full size, but I don’t find it messing me up any. If I go hunting for a key it is because I don’t normally press it and would need to hunt for it on a full sized keyboard anyway. The keyboard feels wonderfully sturdy. It does not flex at all. The only downside is that the keys are white. They will show dirt eventually. Perhaps I should consider it a good thing, because then I’ll know when to clean my keyboard. It has helped me to keep dust and other dirt out from the keys.

• Touchpad:
    I like the touchpad on the T5010. It is a nice size and has a small texture to it that feels pleasant to my fingertips. There is no haptic division between the pointing section of the touchpad and the scrolling section. There are only little dots printed vertically on the rightmost surface of the touchpad to indicate where the scrolling section begins. There is no horizontal scrolling section.
    The touchpad buttons wiggle very slightly but seem firmly attached. I’d say the click of the buttons is the loudest part of this computer (depending on how loud you type that is.)

• Scroll Sensor, Tablet Buttons, & Power Button:
    Ah, when good ideas go awry; very badly awry. The scroll sensor is put in a terrible place. My hand would constantly brush against it and cause whatever program I was in at the time to scroll. If I was inking it would make a big line across the document and frustrate me. After the first ten minutes of owning this machine I disabled the scroll sensor.
    The tablet buttons are customizable. I find that I press them on accident on occasion due to them being underneath my right hand (this wouldn’t happen if I could use secondary landscape, damn it! :p) It’s a minor annoyance.
    The power button is not actually a button at all. It is a slider. This is good because you can’t accidently press it. At least not easily.

• Fingerprint Sensor:
    The fingerprint sensor is great for keeping your computer secure. You can also use it as a scrolling device if you should choose. It is located out of the way, at the very bottom left of the screen bezel.

• TPM (Security Platform):
    The TPM (Trusted Platform Module) comes from the factory disabled. You need to enable the TPM chip in the BIOS. I have it turned on but have not yet begun using it.

• Battery Life:
    I have nearly always used my machine with the modular bay battery installed, and these numbers reflect that fact. With the processor set on high performance, Bluetooth running and connected to a wireless mouse, and screen brightness set to maximum I will get 3.5 to 4 hours of battery life. With the processor set to power saver, Bluetooth off, and the screen set to half brightness I get a little more than 5 hours. With those same settings and the screen brightness all the way down I get about 6 hours.
    In a place that was dark and without internet access I was able to squeeze 8 hours out of my machine.

• Speakers:
    The speakers on this machine are appalling. Not only do they sound absolutely atrocious I dislike the design decision to use a mesh like metal to cover them. Dirt easily gets stuck in the tiny holes and just looks bad! They do not get so loud. I’m looking into buying a good set of headphones.

• Build Quality, Weight and Balance:
    The T5010 is a solid machine; it is solidly built in the spots that matter. Nothing feels like it is just going to fall off for some inexplicable reason. I have noticed that some of the plastic on the machine feels flimsy: The underside of the machine in spots and the top of the lid. I speculate the reasoning for the flimsy plastic is to keep weight down. The Gateway C-141/142XL was definitely a solid machine, but it weighed a whole lot more than the T5010.
    With the Modular Bay battery installed the T5010 weighs approximately 5.2 lbs. It is very light and I could definitely see myself holding it for extended periods of time with no issues at all.
    The T5010 is also very well balanced. The weight that it does have is distributed nicely so it feels like it weighs a lot less than it does.

• Webcam & Microphones:
    The T5010 comes with a small 1.3 megapixel webcam mounted in the bezel of the screen. It is at the very top, offset to the right side of the latch. I have no strong dislikes for the webcam; it certainly does what it needs to do.
    There are two microphones embedded into the bottom of the screen bezel. I have not had a chance to use them.

• Wireless:
    I do not have a problem getting a signal. In fact, the T5010 sees about 6, sometimes 9 (evidently they turn their internet off, im taking these numbers from the same seated sample point and the gateways never saw them even once) more networks than the Gateway C-141/142XL did. Woohoo for N, too!

• Ease of Upgrade:
    Upgrading this Tablet PC was a breeze. There were no hidden screws that you need to pry anything up to get to. They were indeed very small and potentially easy to lose (which is why I kept track of them in a cup). Snapping in additional RAM took a little fiddling but nothing that was frustrating. Replacing the hard drive was even easier, it was just a matter of unscrewing the hard drive mount, sliding it back with the old hard drive, replacing the old hard drive with the new one on the hard drive mount, then sliding it back. Navigating the recovery cd took a little fiddling…but then again with computers what doesn’t?
    If you are unsure how to install an operating system on a machine I do not recommend you upgrade the hard drive yourself! Get help or just buy the machine with a higher capacity hard drive.

• Environmental Impact:
    Something I have come to pay attention to is the potential environmental impact my computer systems will have on the world once they have reached the end of their life cycle. The T5010 is EPEAT (electronic product environmental assessment tool) silver certified. Follow this link to see the T5010’s score and why it ranked Silver Click Here .
    You may also follow this link to learn about Fujitsu’s environmental aims Here.

• Finish and Style:
    The T5010 definitely takes a minimalist approach to style. It is very plain, yet it still turns a lot of heads—especially in tablet mode. It is almost too minimal when it comes to the markings on the machine. It is hard to see where the eject button is on the optical drive, it can be difficult to locate the media card reader, and the head phone and microphone jacks. Don’t get me wrong, I KNOW where they are, you just need to turn the computer on its side to see them since they are all black, and the plastic is black too. The USB symbol, the microphone and headphone symbol are debossed into the plastic so it is difficult to see them without direct light. It is not a big deal to me, it doesn't effect the way the machine performs.

Summary of Annoyances: Please read this as there are some annoyances I did not highlight through the review.
    - No secondary landscape mode [There is now a fix for this found here]
    - Scroll sensor is in a terrible place
    - Extremely bad speakers
    - Tablet buttons sometimes get in the way
    - It is hard to see the markings on the sides, front, and back of the machine.
    - No horizontal scroll section on the Touchpad
    - The screen protectors that come with the machine are terrible.
    - The power plug wiggles in the saddle (where the plug goes into the machine itself). I've been informed that this is actually not a bad thing. It makes sense that the power plug would need some give in order not to break if someone were to say...trip on your plug. This is no longer an annoyance. Hindsight on my part, sorry.
    - Manual screen latch, (and it does not click.)
    - The pen can be difficult to remove from the silo

Summary of Positive Aspects:
    - Very, very fast.
    - Extremely quiet.
    - Lightweight and balanced
    - LED lit screen, evenly lit and bright
    - Fantastic screen! Very vibrant, awesome viewing angles
    - Does not get very hot
    - Excellent battery life
    - Sturdy bidirectional hinge
    - Easy to upgrade
    - Very pleasant inking experience, very streamlined
    - EPEAT Silver Certification
    - Positive experience with Fujitsu as a company; they have a good reputation too.

I do not regret my purchase at all. If you have any questions or requests please ask away and I will do my best to fulfill them. I did not take many pictures of the machine itself since they are readily available elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Flybane

Flybane Tablet Convert

Hey, thanks for writing this up! You summed it up pretty well, good work!

-Does your latch really not click? Mine has a really obvious click to it. Guess it must just be different on individual machines.

-As for the scroll sensor, I must be in the minority here, but I actually like it! When in portrait, I prefer the secondary portrait mode, which keeps all the buttons out of the way of my writing hand (right) and I can use the scroll sensor with my left thumb. Downside is that this puts a fan sort of in my lap.

-No secondary landscape: I agree; I find this probably the single most annoying thing on this otherwise very cool machine. Isn't there anything that can be done about it? Boo Intel for taking it away! What was their problem?! I much prefer landscape orientation for most work.

3. Grimnir

Flybane,
    The latch has a very soft click to it. Not loud at all. The Gateway C-141/142XL had a very loud and metallic kind of clack. lol.

xD I never use the machine in Portrait mode, but I could see how the scroll sensor would be useful in the way you described it.

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice.
    Power plug: It's normal that it wobbles and it is good that it wobbles so it reduces the possiblity to break something.
    Battery life: Seems to be a bit short. Have you deactivated not used hardware in the device manager like the network adapter? Have you checked that no other programs run in the background which stress the CPU? You could run RMClock to define custom speed settings with reduced core voltage, which reduces the produced heat and gives you longer battery life.

5. Flybane

Flybane Tablet Convert

Wow, I think mine is pretty loud! It goes "Click "and "ping" at the same time.:D

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Very impressive writeup. I can't respond fully, but I'm sure you could improve your boot times further. I'm a few seconds faster, even though I have a slower hard drive and processor.

7. Grimnir

Leaftye,
    Hrm. Faster you say? Perhaps I need to glance over my startup processes and services again.

Frank,
    Thank you for explaining the plug wobble. I've updated the review to reflect this. It makes perfect sense now that you mention it and it was severe hindsight on my part. ;D I didn't think to deactivate the network adapter. Foolish on my part considering I'm 98% wireless! I will hunt for more things to deactivate and I will update the review with new battery times.

Flybane,
    Hrm. Well maybe I just lucked out then, hey?

And thank you all for the compliments :) I do consider this review to be a work in progress so I will continually update it with new information and insights I come across.

8. Stejni

Stejni Pen Pal - Newbie

This was a great review, thank you! I have been(well I still am) wondering to buy this tablet and your post was very helpful, but I do hope you can answer a couple of questions; If I buy it(I probably will) I will get the 2.4 Ghz CPU, but I believe there is not much of a difference from the one you've got, or is there?
    My biggest concern has always been the temperature, I now own a Dell Inspiron and it is not hot at all, I constantly have it on my lap and it is never uncomfortable, is it uncomfortable to use the T5010 while on your lap?
    I also wonder how the performance is in Photoshop, how big canvas do you use without lag?
    And lastly do you play "Osu!"? It is a really fun game for tablet pc's and I hope it runs smoothly on the T5010!

Again thanks for this review I have to say it is the best one I have read for the T5010!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. srinivasagopalan

srinivasagopalan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Grimnir,

Thanks for excellent review.

This was my first tablet pc.I bought this one from Newegg. It has a Indoor display. I was dumb not to choose the Indoor/Outdoor display.However, i find there is a tinge of grainyness on the screen. I was not very happy with it. (May be iam picky but i come from the desktop/laptop world). Unfortunatley, i cannot return it (as it is a non-returnable item). After some research i kind of understood that the factory isntalled screen protector is the difference between Indoor only vs Indoor-Outdoor display. I gathered courage and peeled out the factory installed screen protector. Now the screen appears very bright with vivid colours and shiny like glass. It is like WOW ! But still the graininess is not gone 100%. Any idea is the base LCD itself is different for Indoor/Outdoor display vs Indoor display in such a way that the Indoor-Only screen can never get the crispness even after peeling the factory installed screen protector ?

Also does increasing the DPI's from default 96 make a difference ?

I am planning to use the Photodon Clear screen.

Thanks,
    Srini

10. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I'll try to get you a list of my processes and services later.

As to the plug, that could actually be a really REALLY bad thing. Some Fujitsu laptops had issues with a lack of support around the plug, and eventually the plug would break. I believe Fujitsu eventually fixed the problem, but the diy fix was to fill the area with epoxy or hot glue....just something to allow the chassis to provide the support instead of relying on the circuit board to do the job.....I think it's obvious which should do a better job. Anyway, check the Fujitsu NBR forum to find out more. In the meantime, it may help if you can post a good macro shot of the plug area so we can get a better idea of what's going on there. Hopefully I'm misreading your post, and that the wobble is really due to loose tolerances within the plug instead of the actually plug moving around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.