Great Use for an iPad - Duet Display

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Jun 19, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If you are a Windows 10 user, especially smaller screens like Surface Pro, Duet Display in the App store lets you convert your iPad into a second monitor for your Windows device. Here I have my lowly iPad Mini 4 attached (thanks to a nice little device called "Mountie") - I would imagine a 9.7" (Air, Air 2, new iPad) would work even better as the second screen.

iPM4.JPG

Not sure if Mountie and the iPad 9.7/Surface Pro 4 would work together, given the added weight of the iPad 9.7, but it would give you nearly same screen on both. However, I like just using the iPad Mini 4 in portrait mode for looking at a second document (makes cut & past or drag and drop nearly hassle free) or a research window, or as here, keeping an eye on all you ruffians...

UPDATE - forgot to mention it connects your iPad to the SP4 through the lightning cable using Duet Display on the iPad and a video driver on the SP4. You can use your display properties to adjust the positioning, and the video driver handles switching from portrait to landscape. Saw virtually no lag between the screens, unlike a similar wireless solution that requires both devices be on the same wireless network.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    artistebot, JoeS and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You have performed the "forbidden pairing"...what's next, more blasphemy like a Galaxy Tab S3 on the right? :D

Might as well take that triple monitor setup on the go, eh? ;)

Azzart, darkmagistric and dstrauss like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

With a bit of luck they'll produce the Surface Air as offspring! :p

4. dstrauss

Probably sooner than MS will....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Azzart likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Unfortunately, Duet Display does not support multiple monitors...yet...

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you want to test it, you can install DisplayLink software and connect an Android tablet or just a USB monitor. But to be honest I suspect Duet Display and DisplayLink might not be able to co-exist.

7. dstrauss

I had sen enough warnings about Duet Display scrambling Windows setups so I think one is enough for now. It has worked well, no hiccups, so no need to test my luck.

8. Kumabjorn

I noticed there was not any free version available. But I suppose it might be worth 1 500 yen just to show of Windows on my iPad Pro.

9. Kumabjorn

Purchased an iTunes Card but before registering that I took another look at the app. Seems there are upgrades to Pro and Pro Tablet. Anyone know what those upgrades bring, IOW what are the restrictions in the regular paid (!) app?

Interesting business model, first sell it and the charge twice as much for an upgrade. Do that on Android and someone will put a contract on your sorry ass.

I also noticed that the Japanese buyers who gave it one star complained that it didn't work with W10 after Creators Upgrade.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

To my understanding those two should be the same thing.
    The upgrade is subscription based, so it's 20 a year and it allows to use the iPad Pro as a Cintiq. Don't know how good that is, it's probably a useless feature around here. :D

Kumabjorn likes this.