graphics on acer c314

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Don Komarechka, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

Graphics Controller on acer 314 is NVidia GeForce Go 6200 - 32 MB
    can it be changed later to 64mb...or more? is it hard to do that?

thanks

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This graphics chip automatically allocates a total of 128MB of RAM as needed via the PCI Express Bus. You never have to do any setting yourself with this new technology!

3. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the answer..I still have some Q.s about it, i hope they aren't stupid!!!
    You know how tecra m4 have nVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 TE with 64MB or 128 while c314 has the NVidia GeForce Go 6200 - 32 MB, what is the deffirence?
    That's where my first Q. comes from...can i change the c314 32mb to 128 mb like the m4 or it's not neccesary..does it affect the graphics on the pc??
    is it a real plus for the m4 that it has a bigger graphics mem. size.?

Thaaanks again,
    Sam

4. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

I had an Acer 2GHz 1GB 8006 laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB dedicated video card (sold the Acer 8006 on Ebay). I actually had the 8006 and my new C314 at the same time. I could not tell the difference in video performance playing DVD movies on both. I am not into games so I have no idea how Doom or whatever would play on the NVidia. The Nvidia will be fine for 9,999 out of 10,000 people.

5. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks..'
    so Technically there is no diff. between the tecra m4 and acer c314 in graphics?
    (between the 32mb acer has and the 128mb you can add to the tecra m4?)

6. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

Remember that the NVidia will allocated up to 96MB of RAM (if needed) to go along with the 32MB dedicated. With 1GB RAM, I do not think the 96MB would be missed. I would like to know from any gamers out there if they have noticed a difference. As I said, I could not tell the difference with DVDs between an Acer 8006 with ATI 9700 128MB dedicated and my C314.

The C314 is one great machine. Please note - I am in no way connected with Acer, I do not get any commission on sales of C314s, I do not own any stock in Acer, I do not know anyone who works fo Acer. I discovered Acer almost by accident 2 years ago when the 8006LMi got PC Magazine's Editors' choice award.

7. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Tecra M4's 64MB graphics card does outperform other similar machines (perhaps it was even the same machine) with only a 32MB card. I haven't tried playing any video games on my Acer (I have an Alienware 51m 7700 for that); but I can tell you that, in general, 3D intensive games like Quake or Doom can take advantage of better graphics cards.

But unless you're playing such graphic intensive games or programs, then I would think the 32MB Nvidia that comes with the Acer 314xmi is sufficient for all other purposes.

8. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

I feel like an idiot, but it was actually on this site when Barry reviewed the Acer that he said:

Although the Acer C314 performance shines in processor-intensive tasks, it seems that the Toshiba Tecra M4 wins in graphics performance. This is most likely due to the "Toshiba" version of the NVIDIA Go 6200 which has an extra 32MB of dedicated VRAM on the chip.

9. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

The processors and video architectures in the latest tablets are so robust that I can't see there being any significant differences in video performance other than for the extreme gamer.
    I purchased the C314 for overall quality, performance, display, functionality, and most bang-for-the-buck as well as my almost 2 years of great experience with the Acer 8006. My C314 was $1829 delivered from ZipZoomFly. I purchased an additional 2 year warranty direct from Acer for $124 (3 years total). Match the total of $1953 against anything out there.
    My Dell P4 has been reduced to being a file server.

10. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't feel bad. There are enough details in the reviews for the C314 and M4 Tablets. It is easy to miss some on the "first read"! ;)