grainy screen?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by deepak, Oct 19, 2006.

1. technocrateus

technocrateus Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm about to make the plunge for R1F until I saw someone mention grainy screens on the laptop. Can someone confirm how serious is this. I heard that most tablets would have some degree of graininess. How does this compare with other models like the Fujitsu T4210 or Toshiba m400? I'll be using the tablet primarily for reading textbooks (at about 30cm away) and watching hours of video lectures.

My other concern is the upgradability of the processor. Can anyone who own this laptop confirm that the CPU is upgradable?

Thanks!

2. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi technocrateus,
    I own an R1F, though I cannot compare it with the models stipulated, I can tell you what you can expect to see. I myself purchased it for reading textbooks, lecture notes and the occational video. Have you got a screen protector on anything at all? I guess this depends on which screen protector you use... Well yeah, it looks a lot like that. It is clear, but not a clear as a standard LCD. Based on what you plan on using it for, I don't see any problems or issues with the graininess (which I think is overly exaggerated).

As for the CPU, theres a thread here somewhere that states the R1F configurations world wide. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=3482 So i guess it's just a matter of where abouts in the world you order it from? Ask your retailler, maybe they can special order it, because mine came from the manufacturer in Taiwan, like every other one.

Hope you find this helpful

Cheers,
    Will

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. technocrateus

Thanks for the reply eva04. It was very helpful. I have a followup question: I'll be using it to look at lots of images/photos (histological slides) online and through software. How is the color on the screen? Would it be useful for examining details on an image? I'm currently using an Acer TravelMate 220 which is about 5 years old with slightly washed LCD (what they make back in the old days)

Since you seem to use it for school too, have you had any problems with the laptop so far? Any random slow downs or crashes? Does the LCD transition from portrait to landscape (and vice versa) efficiently? And will it stand the abuse of a typical student on the go? I'll probably be stuff it in my locker regularly (when we have lab etc). And lastly, how sensitive/reactive is the screen? Do you have any problems with the screen slow to respond (my PDA has this problem, which I bind utterly irritating sometimes).

Cheers,

Sophy

4. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

the cpu is upgradable, but if you do upgrade it, your warranty will be VOID.

if after the 2 years, you want to upgrade, go for it. afaik, the tablet can take the latest/newest core 2 duo processors (which is a 2.2Ghz Intel C2D 4MB, if im not mistaken).

5. eva04

Viewing images? Well sure you can do that pretty well. The colour on the screen is just like that of an LCD, its just well yeah.. grainy ! The good thing about the tablet is that when you press on it, it doesn't go fuzzy! (then again you'd expect that from a tablet). That's probably due to the 1-2mm or so piece of plastic or whatever it is on top of the screen, which is probably the reason for the graininess.

Now, I've used it in lectures for taking notes directly onto the lecture slides (pretty nifty I might add). No dramas, though I do get the odd look from other students and the "What the hell is that!?" sort of thing. However, it's bigger than and heavier than i thought it'd be (even without the dvdrom). Something 2/3rd the size would have been perfect.

I've had no such random slow downs or crashes. I got my RAM upgraded to 2gigs, tho i doubt it'd be any different with 1gig.

As for portrait - landscape efficiency, theres actually three buttons below the screen:
    - ctrl + alt + del (handy!)
    - esc
    - portrait - lanscape (just hit i and it'll switch between the two instantly - Easy as that)

As for abuse, I look after my stuff pretty well. One thing i've noticed is that after one weeks use the hinge is already becoming a little loose. I can't imagine what it'd be like after a year. Anyway, it comes with two bags, both padded. one is just a sleave and the other is a carry bag. I'm sure you'll manage to keep it safe one way or another.

Sensitivity of the screen? Not too sure but the wacomm pen is awsome, it sort of has a sensor.. u can move the cursor around with ur stylus without having to touch the screen! (yes yes i'm a tablet noob). I know exactally what you mean by slow response with PDA. No dramas regarding that with the R1F tho.

To further describe the 'graininess' since you have a PDA, it's exactally like that. Like i said, it's exaggerated by those who aren't used to it already...

I've posted this elsewhere as well, but I think you should know that the pen holder/silo in the tablet is in fact FAULTY. If you stick the stylus in it, 100% guaranteed it will get scratched. Another problem pending is that the earphone jack gives static sounds, i'm really hoping that it's because i've got a bad batch. Returning it tomorrow to be replaced.

Hope it clears things up for you.

Cheers,
    Will

6. technocrateus

Thanks for the detailed response Will! Good luck with the replacement! Please keep us posted.

Looks like I can settle for the 1.66GHz processor (the only version available in US) for now and upgrade later. btw, I checked the asus website, and I think the highest processor it can take is 2.33GHz. Has any change teh CPU from laptops before and is the CPU different from the desktop CPUs?

Can anyone else confirm the static from earphones? Or rather, is there anyone who owns an R1F and does not have this problem?

7. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

wow this discussion is really interesting. the screen is important to me.

however i really like eva04's analysis. so eva do you have the north american configuration? if yes what battery like do you get? and ur saying that the carrying cases came with your laptop (i believe north american again). because the asus site says its optional.

i am also going to be using it for school so since you have used it for this purpose tell me if you find this heavy to carry? and finally how long battery life do you get?

Thanks a lot eva,

8. eva04

Hi deepak,
    I've just returned my R1F today for replacement. But i'll try to answer your questions as best as i can...

I've got the Australian configuration. T7200, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 120gb hdd and this is with a 6 cell battery.

Mine came with two carrying cases, a snug padded 2 sleaved pouch and a regular laptop bag with shoulder strap. I'm pretty sure it comes standard with every R1F as it came boxed like that from Asus themselves. I think Asus say its optional to cover themselves from retailers who decide to sell it separately for more profit (obviously..).

I move around lecture room to lecture room a lot through out the day. The carry bag only has enough space for 1-2 exercise books... So yeah, I have to carry around a backpack as well as the laptop. Which can be quite heavy, especially when coupled with the charger, mouse and other things i like to carry around with it.

Though somedays i'd just take the laptop bag and a book to jot notes on. Yes i know i haven't totally converted to full tablet use yet, but next semester will be a paperless semester! Anyway, compared to the tankish laptops other students lug around, i'd consider the R1F to be pretty damn light!

I get 2.5hrs of use from it at full charge. That is:
    - full brightness
    - wireless and bluetooth on
    - used for writing notes and chatting on msn...
    I've enquired about a secondary battery (where the removable bay is, ie DVD ROM), apparently its not available yet so my retailler cannot get it in.

Well that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Will

9. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Will - you're using full brightness in a lecture hall? Usually the darker the place, the lower you'd want that set to start with. I find that 50% brightness is what is good for a normal office setting, so 15-20% should be just fine for a lecture hall if the lights are off...... that would boost the battery life a ton. also, do you know what power saving setting you were using, because office/email should be just fine for that sort of stuff and that would limit your cpu usage and also give you more life.

10. eva04

No sir. I was using it in the library at full brightness. I know how annoying it can be when someone in a lecture room has a bright screened laptop.