GPS settings Asus Vivotab TF810C

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Anfanglir, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Anfanglir

Anfanglir Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all!
    I just purchased a Asus Vivotab TF810C. I have tried the GPS with the Win8 app "GPS Satellite for windows 8" just to check that the gps works - and it does. But now I want to use Win7 gps applications that require a manual configuration of com port and baud rate. Does any one here now the settings of the GPS on the 810? Does Win8 even have com ports?

thanks / Anfanglir

2. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I don't have that particular device, I have experience with internal GPS hardware on other devices. First thing to know is they generally can only provide GPS data to one program at a time. So, you must ensure your "GPS Satellite for Windows 8" is not running when you try to use another program with the GPS..

You can determine the COM port the GPS is on from Device Manager by expanding the Ports (COM & LPT) section just as in Windows 7. To access Device manager, type Dev on the Windows 8 Start screen, select 'Settings' from the right 'Search' list and it will be in the list on the left. As to bit (baud) rate, that is more difficult but it will probably be either 4800 or 9600bps.

Terry

3. Anfanglir

thanks,
    but Ports (Com & Lpt) is absent in the Device Manager on the Vivotab. I compared with my Libretto w100 (Win7) and there Ports are listed, but not on the vivotab. Not sure it this is win8 dependent or clover trail specific.

4. ldgw500

ldgw500 Pen Pal - Newbie

You can find information for the GPS Sensor under Device Manager, then Sensors. It should be the Broadcomm GNSS Geolocation Sensor. Right click on that and select Properties. Under the Details tab there is the Property fields dropdown that list all variable fields for that device. I did see an Address variable of 16 but no baud rate listed. Not sure if this will help you.

5. Anfanglir

OK, after googling around and looking in driver inf's and xml's i have come to the conclusion that the Vivotab don't use com ports, instead a “Location API and a Location Provider Driver” is used to get NMEA strings. This probably breaks compatibility with older software.
    Windows 8 Virtual Com Port Support

The GPS in the TF810c is a Broadcom Gnss, possibly BCM47511 (or BCM4750 or 4751). Baudrate is 115200.

As far as I understand the adress listed in properties (16) is not the same as com port 16, but thanks all the same. :)

6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So someone can develop a software that read the data using the apis and write them on a com port.
    Who wants to do it?

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have send to franson your link asking them to implement in gpsgate the solution described by microsoft
    I am quite sure they will do it, they have done it in the past (solve issues), and windows 8 is a market they should not ignore.

8. K2KZ

K2KZ Pen Pal - Newbie

for what its worth, I'm interested in the Vivo Tab as well. The GPS issue seems to be across several windows 8 platforms. In my surfing I came across this link

http://driveragent.com/c/archive/945a7bc4/image/2-0-1/BCM47511-Standalone-GPS-Solution

What caught my eye was a note about "...CP210x configuration is suitable for platforms that are using the Silab CP210x driver ACPI configuration is suitable for platforms that are using Broadcom Bus Driver...". Recently I purchased a Kenwood radio with an inbuilt GPS (different Chipset) and after I loaded Kenwood's driver the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge driver was nicely installed complete with a virtual com port on my 64bit Intel Processor. The website had 4 drivers listed: 2 for 32bit, 2 for 64 bit machines.

CP210x
    • Broadcom_Location_x86_USB_LTO.msi – For 32-bit Windows 8 Operating System and LTO
    *• Broadcom_Location_x86_USB.msi – For 32-bit Windows 8 Operating System and NO LTO
    • Broadcom_Location_x64_USB_LTO.msi – For 64-bit Windows 8 Operating System and LTO
    *• Broadcom_Location_x64_USB.msi – For 64-bit Windows 8 Operating System and NO LTO

* My choice

Anyone care to try? Good Luck! :thumbsup:

9. n4bme

n4bme Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same issue with a Dell Latitude 10 and found this problem while looking for a solution. Have you found one yet?
    I am tryng to press Dell into providing that driver for the now "legacy" software. I have the real version of win 8 so my argument is that they should provide it, I am not using RT.

Mike

10. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

Have you tried using Turbo GPS? It has the ability to connect with the sensor devices in Windows 7 and 8. It has a dedicated option for selecting an the installed DPS sensor device, without the need for any com port configuration.

You can visit the project home page here TurboIRC.com TurboGPS PC Download and the Forum. The developer seem to be helpful and active in the forum.

You can see it has found the Broadcom GNSS Geo Location sensor on my ATIV 700T1C in the image below. For some reason the Broadcom doesn't seem to be installed correctly as I am unable to get any satalite links. Maybe you will have netter luck on your Vivotab.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015