GPS Question / Help ? ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by (GMC), Aug 19, 2013.

1. (GMC)

(GMC) Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (Model: 367927U)
    My understanding is that this model has no Antennas, is this correct?
    If the above is correct am I to assume that I will not be able to receive GPS data offline?

In the device manager I see that it does have the Broadcom GNSS Geolocation Sensor however I have been unable to get it to work, I have insured that I have the newest driver.
    I have the newest version of Ozi Explorer that supports the Windows 8 API senor and it works with WI-FI, however when I turn off WI-FI I cant get Ozi explorer to work?

I realize that there is a com port issue with Windows 8 as it uses API Sensor for location data, and that most GPS software requires a COM port.

Is there a known way to get my tablet to produce GPS data offline?

Thanks......

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

The TPT2 does produce GPS data when it's offline. However, the issue is that if you're using a mapping application like Bing Maps or Oziexplorer, then they expect to have a connection to the internet to receive the map data. If you can't provide that, then what you will need is an application that caches the map data when the device is offline.

3. (GMC)

(GMC) Pen Pal - Newbie

I will assume that currently there is nothing out there that will do that presently?

4. gcoupe

I thought that AutoRoute and Streets and Trips used cached maps? Of course, if you go for one of these, then you'll need to also get the $14.99 Centrafuse Localizer to pass the GNSS data through to the virtual COM ports that the navigation software uses...

5. gcoupe

BTW, if you think that your GNSS chip isn't working correctly, then it's worth following the troubleshooting steps that are given in the Centrafuse Localizer installation guide:
    http://repo.centrafuse.com/centrafu...ase/Localizer Installation and User Guide.pdf

These troubleshooting steps include basic checks on the hardware, and don't require the Localizer to be installed. They also point out that many tablets are unable to get an initial fix on GPS satellites when indoors...