GPS/Navigation apps on Windows 8.1 (and Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Software' started by HJK, Mar 29, 2015.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Here Maps and get on quite well. I have two nitpicks, but 90% of the time I use it with my wife in the car, so the one of us that is not driving is able to manually adjust without problems.
    These two (nitpicky) downsides are as follows: 1) Once enroute, if you stray off course Here Maps will not adjust your route and recalculate automatically for you. It is not difficult to manually recalculate the route yourself, so the designated-passenger-navigator just has to do this manually.
    2) There is no audio turn by turn navigation. Once again, this isn't a big problem for me since the passenger becomes the navigator and gives the directions.
    Both of these nitpicks do make Here Maps much less usable when one is driving by oneself.
    NavMii did both of these things, but I found the app to be nearly unusable and the downloadable map database to be pathetic (see my comments above).
    It seems that MapsPro can do these things as well. I have been putting off purchasing Maps Pro, but Steve S's comments on Maps Pro are quite promising.

2. Ferd Berfel

Ferd Berfel Pen Pal - Newbie

http://www.turboirc.com/gps7/
    GPS Reverse maps your Windows location sensor (GNSS) to a com port allowing legacy apps to use it. It used to be free, but unfortunately it's now 11 euros.

3. Ferd Berfel

Ferd Berfel Pen Pal - Newbie

Just installed and used Navmii on a Yoga Tablet 2-1051F w Win 8.1.

Not crazy about it's routing functions in rural Mexico, but aside from that it's very nice. Turn by turn offline voice instructions, etc.
    Simple interface, but could use more contrast of items on screen.

Also installed AMIDuos and installed Sygic for Android, which I slightly prefer, and a # of other apps.

My Yoga actually functions like a good Android tablet for the most part though a little slow with some apps and I have my favorite Windows programs like Foobar 2000.

I'm finally happy with this hybrid and am loath to upgrade to Windows 10 since everything now works!

4. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

ATIVQ likes this.