GPS/Navigation apps on Windows 8.1 (and Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Software' started by HJK, Mar 29, 2015.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Which of the items on the wish list can MapsPro handle? Can it do number 4 (adjust the route on the fly) or 5 (voice navigation)?

2. HJK

Unfortunately Windows 10 looks to be a huge step backwards for us tablet users in terms of interface. It really stinks that we have to choose between a crummy tablet interface with access to some sweet tablet apps (Windows 10) and a sweet tablet interface that does not let us access the newest and best apps designed for Windows tablets (Windows 8.1).

3. bizlazybug

bizlazybug Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea I'd have to agree with that, I'm not a big fan of the whole tablet mode. Good news is that there's going to be more builds in the coming months and I'd expect there are going to be some more UI changes (hopefully improvements) for touch.

4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not sure for point 4, I will try tomorrow.
    But definitively yes for point 5.

HJK likes this.
  5. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

guys...

under windows you have ALL relevant gps-softwares... simply install DuOS etc, and you not only have windows-gps, but ---all--- android gps apps on top of that.

6. HJK

Yuki
    Forgive me if I am a ignoramus, but I have no idea what you are saying here. Help please?

7. HJK

Ah. I think I see! http://www.amiduos.com/
    I have three reasons for being hesitant about installing some sort of dual boot software, though:
    1. I don't want to brick my device. I don't trust my own competence at this point and I am wary of third party software.
    2. I don't want to burn precious memory storage space if I can help it.
    3. The last I heard, Windows apps were actually ahead of the game as far as map apps that work with large downloadable maps for offline use. Unless I am misinformed, Android and iOS apps lacked that capability until Nokia brought Here Maps to those platforms last December. The ability to use a sizable map database while offline is the most important feature for me. Google's system of cache-ing maps won't cut it.

8. pappyxmas

pappyxmas Pen Pal - Newbie

I use Streets & Trips and it works great. I also tried Delorme Street Atlas USA and it gives me the legendary blue screen of death. I contacted their tech support who rudely told me they do not support Windows 8.1 nor do they intend to, yeah they lost a customer that day....

9. HJK

Does S&T do #s 4 and 5?

10. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

Relax! :)
    DuOS (and genymotion etc) - are just virtual machines which you install - as any other software - under windows.

No dual boot, no brickin. They just ru like word, photoshop, whatever.

True + Agree.

But: you can run them on 512 Mbyte (not gbyte partititions)... if you have a bit if space available, give em 4 or 8 GB, if youre pretty locked in - just allocate only some 100s megabytes.

Well, basically you are right - however, under android, you can get very nice OSM / open street maps softwares (like maps with me, maps 2 go etc), which are fully offline & gps capable.

The windows softwares are better, but: android is cheap, has plenty of solutions and sometimes, as example, maritime navigation, i can use an android soft for free or 2.99 instead of the overkill super-pro soft on windows (aimed at REAL captains) to keep my small hobby-boat floating & orientated in the harmless seas around paris & berlin ;)

HJK likes this.