GPS map options for Vivotab Note 8?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by WillAdams, Jan 1, 2015.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is there anything which really works other than Centra fuse Localizer?

Weirded out that Jack of Tools can find the GPS, but Maps can't.

2. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

It's the only thing that I know that can expose the Windows Location API to desktop applications that expect a 'traditional' COM based GPS. I use it with MemoryMap and AutoRoute.

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Ummm . . . So what can I do to get Here Maps to recognize my GNSS chip and let me do offline navigation? This tablet for my wife just arrived, and this is a make-it-or-break-it thing for me. If we can't get this to work, I think we're shipping it back to Amazon.

4. WillAdams

I managed to get Maps to recognize my chip by installing GPSreverse, but I'm still looking for off-line maps. The Streets & Maps product is discontinued.

There's a Maps Pro which I've been considering and Map Factor was suggested on Reddit.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  5. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't understand what you are doing.:confused: Here Maps looks like it is a Windows Store App and should be able to use the GPS built in to the Vivotab Note 8 without any extra software as long as you have given it permission to do so at PC Settings -> Privacy -> Location.

GPS Reverse looks like an alternative to CentraFuse Localizer (which I didn't know about - thanks) and provides an emulated COM port to desktop applications requiring that type of interface to a GPS.

How are you getting Here Maps to use GPS Reverse, if indeed you are?

6. WillAdams

It seemed that the Windows Maps app was using my location when I went for a walk around the neighborhood.

GPS Satellite does connect and show the GPS data / satellite connection as does G Maps. So does Maps --- when I turned it on after riding in to work it shows me here (just no map).

HERE Maps seems only able to use Wi-Fi to set a location which is bizarre.

ViaMichelin won't even start w/o a Wi-Fi connection.

I really wish Nokia's HERE Maps was still available in the Windows store.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use here Maps on my M80TA and it works flawlessly with the GPS receiver no matter where I am. It does not rely on Wifi connection for GPS location. I can turn it on no matter where I am and use it like an Atlas, as long as I am within one of the maps I have already downloaded (I've dl'd most of my tri-state area and habitually dl new maps on any anticipated route). It locates me in the map with no problem. It does not use cell location. I also use it in its full mode on my Nokia 928 (which finally has WP8.1 just recently released by Verizon).

8. WillAdams

Okay, so it seems that I shouldn't need GPSreverse --- instead, I should use Maps, it'll "just work" w/ the GPS chip, and all I have to do to have map data is download it.

How does one download map data in advance?

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Just go to locations beyond your existing maps and the maps along the route are dl'd.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. WillAdams

Weird. I'd thought I'd done that, mapping out the route to work as part of trying to test it. I'll try again. Thanks!