GPD Pocket 2

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Mr. Boosh, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My GPD Pocket 2 gets delivered tomorrow.

2. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Whoo!

Be sure to let us know what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mr. Boosh

Just set it up and typing on it now. Keyboard will take a long time to get used to again, but the performance between Gen 1 is like night and day.

Not sure if I'll end up keeping it, as I have the Surface Book now and I also have that 8 inch Falcon on pre-order.

This would let me completely skip a backpack going to school though, which might be worth it.

yodamiked likes this.
  4. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

Curious for any updates on how you’re liking the device. Kind of regret not taking part in the crowd funding, though I’m hoping the One Mix Yoga 2 comes out soon and offers the same specs.

5. yodamiked

@Mr. Boosh Don't leave us hanging! How's it treating you so far? Impressions?

6. Mr. Boosh

I am enjoying the GPD Pocket 2. It is night and day compared to the first one. I do think the optical mouse is good, but the placement with it on the top plus the left and right clicks on the other side is annoying for anything other than casual computing.

Since I was spoiled with the touchpad on my Surface Book, I started researching about using a portable trackpad. I was able to snag a first generation Apple Magic Trackpad, and in combination with the ExtraMagic drivers, I have a multitouch gesture trackpad with the GPD Pocket. That combination makes it usable for school. I have been able to forgo bringing a backpack completely because the GPD Pocket and Magic Trackpad pack up so small!

This computer is more than powerful enough for me to use at school, which involves a lot of OneNote, Chrome, and Quizlet flashcards. It is zippy and I have experienced no slowdowns yet. The only problem is not being fast enough on the keyboard, but I'm sure with more practice I will get better.

I would hold off for the OneMix Yoga 2, that looks to be even more powerful and I do think the mouse button placement will be better, plus the active digitizer and tablet functionality that will be on that unit. There is also another 8 inch device being released called the Falcon by TopJoy, although it will be using a Pentium N5000 which is quad core but seems to be less powerful than the Core Ms based on my brief CPU comparisons.

I am using the Pocket everyday and recommend it.

yodamiked and jvloyola like this.
  7. yodamiked

@Mr. Boosh Thanks for sharing your impressions. Sounds like a pretty awesome setup. I'm definitely keeping a close eye on the OneMix Yoga 2. I prefer the look and keyboard of the GPD Pocket 2, but that's a good point about the trackpad/mouse buttons. Have you tried any graphic intensive applications (i.e., photoshop or any games)?

8. Mr. Boosh

I think the GPD Pocket 2's layout is better as well, except for the mouse placement. I have not tried Photoshop, as I would never use it on a machine like this. I don't game either. Go find a video on the m3 Surface Pro and Photoshop, it should be the same as what it would be on the Pocket.

9. Mr. Boosh

I've been using my GPD Pocket 2 instead of my Surface Book at school for a few weeks now. That might sound crazy but this thing is more than sufficient for all my work at school and I'm able to leave home without carrying a backpack.

The mobility factor with this device is unbelievable. During lunch I plug it into the fast charger at home and it's back to 100% within the hour.

I might grab that TopJoy Falcon because it's a slightly bigger device at 8". I'm not getting the OneMix Yoga 2, at least in its initial configuration. The keyboard on that unit does look to be a step down from the Pocket 2. GPD did a good job omitting certain keys and having the non-split spacebar. I am getting pretty fast typing on this. Took about 3 weeks, but I'm proficient now.

ORTOX likes this.