GPD Pocket 2

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Mr. Boosh, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone else back it?

Backed the first gen Pocket last summer and got rid of that thing within 3 weeks because of that terrible performance with the Atom chip. This time around it's Core M.

Just waiting for the day they 360-degree the hinge, add a siloed Wacom EMR pen, and throw a SIM slot in there for good measure.

2. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

I did not. I'm extremely tempted by the One Mix Yoga, though. Has the 360 degree hinge, non-siloed non EMR pen, and no option for SIM card. And super slow Atom processor. But the form factor is awesome!

3. Mr. Boosh

Great form factor, really bonehead decision to use an SoC even slower than the GPD Pocket 1.

The original Pocket was unusable for my workflow with that slow chip. Videos of the lag on the OMY are comical, no idea how one would expect to get any real notetaking done on it with that pen.

4. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Yikes! I haven't seen any videos of the pen in use on it. I have an Asus Transformer Mini T102HA with the same specs. It's usable. Note taking is actually pretty good on it!

5. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually broke down or my curiosity got the best of me and ordered the One Mix Yoga, and so far I´m loving it,
    A little background, I have been using a Surface 3 for the past couple of years so I´m used to atom performance, my thought were that with he extra RAM (4in the surface 3 vs 8 in the One Mix Yoga) it should be better than the S3, and I can say it definitely is.

I picked up the OMY last wednesday while traveling to the US, and have been playing a lot with it so far, web browsing, office applications run fine on it, even Civilization VI is very playable on the OMY it does get hot when playing but its not uncomfortable.

Streaming youtube videos at 1080p is no problem for me, I get no lag, and minimal buffering.

WHen I ordered I though the stylus was included so for now I have no stylus (already ordered two and they are on the way), so for now I cant talk about the inking experience.
    The optical pointing nib takes some getting used to be and is definitely not as good as a mechanical one but it gets the job done.
    Its great to have a full computer that I can fit in my jeans back pocket and being able to work AND play on the go, if the inking experience is good then I will be in heaven.

Will report back when I get my stylus in about a week I guess.

Back to the original question, the GPD pocket and pocket 2 were a no go fr me mostly because of the form factor: I´m a big note taker and the lack of a stylus for both was a deciding factor agains them, also for the oroginal pocket not being able to expand the storage via a MIcroSD card was a big point agains it as I travel a lot and use my computer to watch movies and series on the planes.

The second generation pocket did spark my interest because of the m3 processor and the upgraded RAM to 8 gigs but again the lack of a 360 degree hinge and lack of stylus killed it for me.

Vinny

6. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for checking in Vinny! I've been looking forward to hearing what you thought of the One Mix Yoga. It sounds like a pretty awesome little device. I don't need a new laptop at the moment, but the next time I'm in the market I'm going to be looking at what's out and available in a similar form factor.

jvloyola likes this.
  7. Mr. Boosh

What type of note-taking do you do? What app? How big are your notebooks? I tried using the original GPD Pocket with my rather large notebooks with 200+ page PDFs imported into OneNote desktop version.

The Pocket choked. I don't see how an even slower Atom would give any better of an experience. I guess for single page empty notebooks where you just write on ruled lines, sure, but for image laden pages that you highlight and annotate, I would be willing to wager I'd be force closing OneNote all day long.

8. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

My onenote pages are mostly handwritten notes from the past 10 years.

I haven’t really tried onenote in the one mix I’m waiting fir the pen to arrive hopefully if DHL is good to me, this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Mr. Boosh

That explains it

jvloyola likes this.
  10. Mr. Boosh