got the tc4200, some glitches

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Brian, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilzebub

bilzebub Pen Pal - Newbie

well guys, got my tc4200 finally, and its a very well built machine indeed, and a real performer.

Had some initial issues you may be familiar with - installing kaspersky a/v & firewall set thing into spontaneous serious error/reboot/repeat mode - immediately reformatted and installed NOD32 instead, and this did not recur

also, am not able to adjust screen brightness, either from hotkeys, or the control panel/"tablet and pen settings" dialogue

there seem to be an awful lot of processes running on default (over 50) and i have 23 for my xp sp2 laptop - is some of this bloatware i can safely uninstall, or is tablet pc just 'busier'?

all in all though seems like a great deal $1289 from HP direct (refurb 1.73/1gig/80G with multibayII dvd-cdrw incl)

Thanks for all the help selecting!

2. bilzebub

never mind the power things - got it from the 'quick launch' utility, most of which seems opaque to me however... does HP have its own advanced power utility, like toshiba's speedstep one, or is that integrated into XP tablet? The toshiba one let me preset screen brightness settings for various battery levels...

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you reformatted are you sure the hotkey and other utilities were installed?

4. bilzebub

brian,
    yes i used the recovery cds - the second one having the e utilities on it (q menu, etc) but i didn't see an hp power utility there - will recheck.

can you recommend whether there are some utilities to uninstall? 50+ running processes seems like a lot?

cheers,
    bill

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd start by seeing what's in the system tray and killing things you don't need. As to the services you can search and see what they all do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.