Got my r25, questions/problems

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by SpaceDust, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trav2003

trav2003 Pen Pal - Newbie

Couple things:

1: on boot, i get a series of beeps right before the windows screen loads, is this normal?

2: my "dash" key isn't working, is this going to require a return? or what's up with that?

Edit: I think maybe the two are related. Could it be that the beeping is due to a stuck key (or not working key). Briefly the dash key worked, typing a number of dashes (as though it were stuck) but i've got nothing since...

Is there any option other than just sending it back?

If I pop the key off, will it go back on, I know some keyboards can, some can't.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You may have something stuck under the membrane.
    Have you tried using a blast of compressed air from a spray can. It may just work.

3. trav2003

Compressed air didn't do anything.

The beeping, I believe, is due to the key. I will work intermittantly, not when I want it too, but i'll get dashes to show up every once in a long while at random.

4. P8RSON

In that case you have two choices...
    1. Send the machine back as a faulty keyboard but be prepared when it comes back, it may have scratches or badly alignment elsewhere. This is regrettably becoming quite common I have found of late.

2. Open up the case and take out the keyboard to see if you can see what is causing the problem.
    I can't remember off the top of my head on the R25 but if you have to remove the keyboard to add RAM (as in on the M400) then this would not invalidate your warranty.

However, after proving that nothing is now stuck under the membrane, I would point the problem at it being a faulty key.
    For that to be fixed is going to be a returns I'm afraid.
    Just be very vigil in your search for any cracks, chips or other problems when the machine arrives back to you.

5. trav2003

Thanks for the heads up.

I talked with Toshiba today - there's an authorized service center nearby i'll take it too next week and get it fixed.

I'm just wondering if I should ask them to clean off under my screen in the mean time - theres really only one speck thats slighlty irritating but nothing bad.

I may wait closer to the end of my warranty date and do it then.

6. P8RSON

Good call...
    Just be careful that everything remains within warranty.
    i.e. batteries only have a limited warranty period.

You should be okay though with the parts you have mentioned but it's just a precaution message :)

7. trav2003

New question:

I installed the intellipoint drivers for the wireless microsoft mouse which is currently not attached, but the scroll on the touchpad now does not work.

Any idea how to get it back?

8. P8RSON

Easy option is to do a roll back of your system.
    Go to system restore and pick a recent restore point.

Other than that you're going to probably need to install the touchpad driver aain.

9. trav2003

Alright, one other problem:

I get the slight freeze every once in a while, it appears its fixable with a windows hotfix, but I can't find where to download that hotfix.

Also, and i'm still trying to figure it out, but it appears that when I type the keyboard isn't 100% responsive. It's as though it will miss a key every once in a while. Possibly i'm just not quite clicking the keys, or its nothing big, but does anyone know anything about this?

I'm just trying to cover all my bases with my new laptop, as I want to ensue everything is working fine before the warranty period expires, and i'm always anal with all my electronics.

10. P8RSON

For the hotfix, go here and click on 'Download'.

Ref the keyboard, if it were the same key I would recommend try blowing a little compressed air around the keys.
    It may be as simple as something is stuck around the membrane.

However, if it's relating to all the keys then have a look at the Windows Task Manager and see if it's being overly active.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.