Got my R1F :)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just setting it up now.

First impression: Wow. The packaging alone makes it worth it :p This is my 6th? 7th? laptop and none of the other companies make the effort like Asus does. I am noticing some minor finish problems ( screen underneath the protector is kind of dirty ), the black plastic piece that holds the fingerprint reader is loose...but generally a very positive first five minutes :)

Also for people in CANADA. Talk to Bloom Microtech ( www.bmtnet.com ) in Ottawa. I got the system in ONE day. Also at a very reasonable CAN$1899. They have a good price and quickly delivered on everything they promised. The website is not much to look at, but the store has been around forever...they treat customers right.

For people in the US, talk to Portable One. Ivan was quite helpful in lining me up for a system but I decided to go with a local dealer. My impressions of the Portable One was first rate.

More later!

2. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

I just ordered my R1F from PortableOne. According to their site, they had 'em in stock. I can't believe after shopping tablets for a year, I finally felt like one had the right features for me to finally pull the trigger. I'm still in shock about how much money I just spent, but I start classes in Jan and I wanted to go ahead and learn how to use a tablet well before then.

I hope my experience is as positive as yours. Post more impressions as you play with your new tablet. Let us know *all* the details. :D

3. alphaswift

Okay, a few more thoughts.....

I added another Gig of RAM ( Kingston ) and the entire process was painless and took less than 5 minutes ( with about 4:30 of that checking and rechecking to make sure I wasn't doing something silly )

Taking off the underside panel was easy. There's a little inset to help pry it off, and it needs a little encouragement to come loose, mostly because Asus has such a good fit for their parts. There are two RAM module holders, both are easily accessible,

I have a North American R1F, which means that it comes with a single 1 GB RAM chip already installed. Very nice. I expected to see 2 x 512 mb. Dropping the chip in is very easy. There's a little wire underneath the second RAM holder that I thought might get in the way, but I was wrong.

I did a simple reboot after dropping the chip in and the additional memory was automatically detected, no other BIOS or other config changes/confirmations were necessary. The tablet has been very stable and is a bit quicker ( man, there's a lot of processes running by default on this system )

By the way, the R1F manual at the Asus site says that upgrading your CPU or HARD DRIVE will void your warranty ( page 43 or 44, I believe if you want to check it out ), but there's no warning about RAM upgrades, although it says it should be done by a qualified Asus technician.

More to come!

4. alphaswift

A peeve and a question.

Obviously, my many years of being a world-renowned safecracker has caught up with me. I find it far, far faster to type in a password than to swipe my finger on the reader.

All those times I sandpapered my finger tips so I could feel the tumblers move in the safe must have wiped my fingerprints.

Any other former safecrackers having this problem?

5. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

haha.... no one said it was faster to use the scanner.... but if you have a long, good password and say they're all different like they really should be... it's more used so you don't need to remember them all.

6. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, say you use a long password of like 20 characters with symbols and numbers that do not form words. And use multiple passwords for the different things you have, then a fingerprint reader becomes immensely useful - its a simple, universal password.

7. alphaswift

All right, now for some bad news.

Stylus scratching:

I scratched my stylus even while trying to be extra careful when inserting and removing it from the system. It's a tight, scratchy feeling inserting the stylus, only moderately helped by correctly orienting the stylus before sticking it in. I won't be putting the pen back in there.

Headphone noise:

Lots of it and it seems to be tied to the noise of the hard drive. When I am not playing music, the chatter seems to ebb and flow with the my hard drive activity light. Someone else should confirm this.

I tried Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" because of the vocals-only at the beginning of the song. I can hear a hissing noise but it wasn't too bad. Realistically, I can live with it for two reasons: (1) I play my music loud enough that the hissing is overwhelmed and (2) I am far from an audiophile and most of my music is ripped from CD's at only 160 bits...which means the recorded music itself is 'just good enough'.

Some other threads are mentioning screen wobble. It's not a bother and seems sturdy enough to me.

8. PROPortable

What do you mean you scratched the stylus?

The headphone jack is oriented similiarly to all of the other asus notebooks and it's got the same audio chipset. Are you hearing the same from the speakers? If your output set correctly to headphones?

9. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

he's talking about the static that comes from the headphone jack and NOT from the speakers.

10. PROPortable

No noo.... I understand what he said........ I'm asking for a clarification to help him find the source of the problem. Simply saying there's static in their headphones doesn't go far to solving the problem... because there shouldn't be "static" in the jack......and we have a dozen other current models to go on that use the same output and the same chipset. That's all I'm saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.